Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Cannot install apps from app world

I'm not sure if there is a thread for this yet.  Whenever I try and install an app from appworld, it appears to download but when trying to install, it says:

Install Error: There was a problem during installation. Please try again.

This has happened for each and every app I have tried (including my own!)

Somebody saaaave me...

---------
Developing Tony Stark's JARVIS System which we call the CYMAN System on the mac ... an app for it coming soon on the BlackBerry Playbook too!

If I've been able to help in any way, credit your friendly neighborhood developer $0.02 worth of kudos!
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Cannot install apps from app world

I'd first suggest a couple of things...

1. Check the Operating System release on your Playbook at Options > Software Updates. Is yours at .1868?
  2. Do a reset on the Playbook like this, press and hold the power key while ALSO simultaneously pressing and holding down the UP and the DOWN volume keys... all three keys at the same time, for about 10 seconds, and you will initiate a hard reset of the Playbook. After reboot, return to AppWorld and try again.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer

No dice I'm afraid :-(

I'm on the latest OS, and tried the hard reset.  Same issue...

---------
Developing Tony Stark's JARVIS System which we call the CYMAN System on the mac ... an app for it coming soon on the BlackBerry Playbook too!

If I've been able to help in any way, credit your friendly neighborhood developer $0.02 worth of kudos!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

Hi Ugoano 

I think this just might solve your issue.

Please give it a try and let me know if this works ok?

When attempting to download an application through BlackBerry App World™ on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, the following error is encountered:

This issue will occur when an account was previously logged into My World from BlackBerry App World 1.0 or 1.1 with a PayPal® account and did not associate that account when creating a BlackBerry® ID to use with BlackBerry App World 2.0.

Note: This issue will occur even if no purchases were made with the PayPal account in BlackBerry App World 1.0 or 1.1.

Complete the following steps to confirm the setup of the BlackBerry ID:

1. From a computer, go to appworld.balckberry.com/webstore
  2. In the upper right area of the BlackBerry App World site, click Sign In.
  3. At the sign in page, enter in the desired BlackBerry ID account information.
  4. Then continue with the account setup process.
  5. Complete steps 1 through 3 if required to do so.

Note: Step 2 of the BlackBerry App World setup process instructs to connect a BlackBerry® smartphone. Currently, a BlackBerry PlayBook is not compatible with the web setup process so an active BlackBerry smartphone will be required to complete this.

6. Once Step 3 is completed, click the Next button to continue.
  7. Click the I Agree button to accept the BlackBerry App World Terms and Conditions.
  8. One of the following 2 screens will be presented:

a) If the email address used is detected to be associated to a PayPal account that made purchases in a previous version of BlackBerry App World, a screen will be presented requesting to transfer those purchases to the new BlackBerry ID. Click the Pay with PayPal button, then complete the requested steps to validate the account and transfer the previously purchased applications.  

b) If no previous purchases are detected, select the method of payment
     to use when purchasing applications in BlackBerry App World, or select I do not wish to enter payment information at this time if continuing with no payment method selected. Click Next to continue.

Note: A payment source can be selected or changed at a later time.

9. On the BlackBerry Account Confirmation screen, click Finish to complete the account setup.

And that's it.

Please give Kudos and mark as a solutions if this works for you!!!  Thanks!!

Developer

Tried looking into KB26671, but that doesn't help me because I don't own a BlackBerry Smartphone... does that mean I won't be able to download apps??

---------

Developer

I'm afraid those are the very instructions I saw which didn't work for me... because I don't have a Smartphone and it says the Playbook isn't recognised yet... of all the praise I've given this device, this part is the most annoying :-/

---------

ugouna, are you able to enter your BlackberryID into AppWorld, or is it even asking you for that information?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

Tony86 wrote:

Hi Ugoano 

I think this just might solve your issue.

Please give it a try and let me know if this works ok?

Good post, Tony, that could be helpful to others.

Just a friendly note: It is customary to not the KB article from which you are copying and pasting, so it doesn't appear that it is your own work.

Knowledge Base Updates
Developer

JSanders wrote:

ugouna, are you able to enter your BlackberryID into AppWorld, or is it even asking you for that information?

Well, when I first started up the Playbook, it asked for that information (from which I registered for the first time), but Appworld itself hasn't asked me for that information.  I tried looking for some kind of settings, but no dice (unless I'm looking in the wrong places)

---------

When you first started up the Playbook, the initial setup, it should have asked you for a BlackBerryID.

Look at your Options > About, first line.

Knowledge Base Updates