Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Cannot send attachments from Blackberry Bold 9900

I have seen similar threads on this topic - some that go back to 2008 - and it doesn't appear that a definitive resolution has been posted.  So I am trying my own to see if someone can help.

I have a user with a Blackberry Bold 9900 who suddenly cannot send photos from her Blackberry.  She was having no problems last week but now she keeps getting the message that “the total attachment size exceeds the maximum allowed size”.  She has tried to email from a BES account, gmail, shaw and nothing works.  She also cannot send it via text message.  I have done some troubleshooting and found that she can receive a photo, view it and forward it through email.  So it doesn't appear to really be a size issue.  I think BB has a bug in the attachment function.  Does anyone have a resolution?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Cannot send attachments from Blackberry Bold 9900

Generally, these are carrier restrictions. If you call the carrier they will usually tell you it's not them but in the end it is and the CSR's just don't know about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

So what kind of carrier issue could it be?  She has been sending photos successfully for six months and just last week this issue started.  She hasn't changed carriers or plans.  Plus she can forward a photo that she received in an email.  It's just the attachment function that isn't working.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

It's the kind of issue where the carriers limit the size of uploads and downloads. With data bandwidth being a commodity they limit this in many cases. She can forward because the attachment already resides on a server somewhere and doesn't need to be uploaded/downloaded to the device in order to forward.

Try having her change the default picture size in the camera options and then try resending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks so much for clarifying!  It doesn't seem to matter what the size of the attachment is, but I will have the user talk to her carrier to see if they made any changes to her plan.