Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Tr4
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Bmobile

Re: Cannot send or receive emails after setting up outlook 2003 on bb

correction:
email: firstname.lastname@company.com
Tr4
Contributor

username eg: apple/jdoe
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Tr4 wrote:

its our carrier that says i cannot set up owa on the BIS site but rather on the handheld. 

Interesting...well, they control their BIS site. Typically, one can also ask the carrier agent to perform the configuration...the only drawback there being, of course, revealing your email account credentials to the agent. But, again, I have no experience with your specific carrier.

Tr4 wrote:

I was not sure what u meant by removing the owa configuration, but i did try to delete the owa url but it wont allow me to leave it blank.

so i deleted the email account again and started from scratch. 

What I meant was exactly what you eventually did...remove completely the configuration, inside of BIS, for this account, and start over from scratch.

Tr4 wrote:

basically this is what i entered

email : first.name@company.com

password: ***************

Outlook web access: https://mail.company.com

user name: domain name(company)\first intial and last name

mailbox name: first name.last name

i would recevie this message in the new email account:

Congratulations, you have successfully set up firstname.lastname@company.com with your blackberry device. You should begin receiving  new messages in approximately 20 minutes.

but i never do receive any messages and i get a general failure message when i try to send emails out. 

Up until that last bit, everything is exactly as it should be.

Tr4 wrote:

I also received a message on my bbm profile:

new email configured. firstname.lastname@company.com was configured on the device. We recommend that you register this email with Blackberry Messenger from the Back up Contact List screen. Any registered email address can be used to recover your Blackberry Messenger data in the future. 

This is a normal "suggestion" message. I actually ignore those and instead backup my contacts to my Media Card (which I regularly copy the contents to my PC).

Tr4 wrote:

I do just that, but the status remains as "registering" everytime i check, because i never do receive the verification email in my bb to REGISTER it. 

You're still talking about BBM I think...as such, with the failure of the email account, anything that attempts to use the email account will likewise fail. So this is a cascading symptom, not a root symptom.

Tr4 wrote:

I get this message after  i have sent the verification message:

The verification  email was sent successfully. Once your device receives the email, it will be processed automatically and registration will continue. If this is taking longer than expected, check your junk mail folder for the verification email. If it is there, mark it as "not junk" and send the verification email again by using the menu. 

Still a cascading symptom (assuming this still has to do with BBM).

Tr4 wrote:

i do this  a million times but only receive the verification email on my pc and nothing on the device. the verification email is not in my junk mail folder and i have not deleted it. 

(Still BBM I think?) Until we get the email account working correctly, anything that tries to use it will fail, as a cascading symptom rather than a root cause.

Your follow on messages are fine...the most critical part is that the configuration succees (as witnessed by the "20 minutes" message you receive).

The key point now remains -- what is happening with other BB users on your same server?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Tr4
Contributor

ironically everyone i have asked dont even want work email on thier bb as much i do...lol. so i am unable to get a consensus from fellow users with the new system. the only ones that i know that have the email installed are those that had it configured a long time ago, they tried helping me, because they say the setup usually takes a few seconds.

I have been trying to communicate with the IT dept but to no avail, on whether its a server problem or just me. i think if it was a server/company problem they would have notified us already. seeing thats its just one person (that i know of) getting problem oppose to more "pressing" IT issues, i guess they figure i could be placed at the bottom of their priority listSmiley Sad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Well, this is a darn shame indeed! Everything you get, when you configure, seems normal...until you don't receive new items to the BB and get that error when you attempt to send. And not being able to know even IF this should work makes this doubly challenging indeed!

The only thing I have left to fully understand is that error when you send. You said "general failure"...can you expand on that? Try to send, using an email address you type in (not someone from your contacts) that you know 100% to be valid (and, preferably, outside of your company). Then, if/when the error presents, post back here the exact and complete error message...maybe we can get another hint from that...

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Tr4
Contributor

well i just tried sending an email again and again, i get the general failure message in an instant.

Sent using:firstname.lastname@company.com

Folder: outbox

message status: general failure

Hall of Famer III

OK...sadly, the public KBs on that message apply to different situations.

Just to be 100%...you can fully send/receive with a different email account on this? I believe you had integrated a hotmail account...you can send/receive with that just fine?

If so, then we are indeed likely winding up in that very small percentage of OWA systems that, for one reason or another, cannot properly function with BIS. It is very strange that you receive the proper confirmation, but then in use is where it fails...odd. Beyond the prior KBs provided, you might also ask your IT folks to look at this one:

• KB11036 Firewall and connection requirements for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Perhaps they've blocked something in their firewall that is necessary to be open in order for this to function. (Yes, I'm reaching even further now!)

Sadly, yes...this is meaning that you need your oh-so-cooperative IT folks to be involved...

I wish there were more I could do, but I'm really out of ideas now...Good luck!

Highlighted
Tr4
Contributor

yes i have integrated my hotmail account with absolutely no problems and i can send and receive emails fluently. pity it was the company email i would have prefferred more.

i just sent another request to the IT dept, this time i didnt sound too pleased with thier assistance or rather lack of, i dont know if that will even make much difference , but i am hoping.

Thanks for all your help nevertheless.