Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Cannot update OS - 507 error every time

Tour 9630 - Sprint  version

3 times now I have attempted to update to 4.7.1 and 3 times the device got hosed. Luckily, I have the restore procedure down pat now. Each time it hangs at the JVM part and it says the device is no longer connected. Then you get the white screen of death with the 507 - No OS error. To restore, I delete vendor.xml and run loader.exe with the /nojvm switch, then restore my last backup.

Can anybody tell me what the deal is? I have the latest version of Desktop Manager. This seems like a rather nasty bug/defect.

In case anybody needs to know to help me, I run Win XP SP3 and BB Desktop Manager 5.0.1.18.  Phone version is 4.4.1.40 (platform 4.1.0.40). Branding version 1.0.101.242.  BB system software 4.7.0.

I just won't update my OS, I guess. Phone has been wiped clean and a fresh install done, then the upgrade was attempted, so no software is interfering.  This is obviously a BB issue on the software or hardware side. I have seen other posts about this issue, but no answers yet.

Again, just very disappointing that I can't trust my phone to update without losing everything. I backup and restore after re-installing the OS, but then I need to download everything again and its a major PITA. Would love some answers.

OS v5.0.0.484
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Cannot update OS - 507 error every time

Hi there!

It may be that you need to utilize the JL_Cmdr method of truly wiping out your BB device OS and then installing it fresh. It's a tricky procedure, but it does work (though I've only had to do it once).

Be sure that you've DL and installed your carriers device OS package. And, it might even not be a bad idea to make sure that DTM is totally clean...here's a procedure for that:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but I already use JL_Cmder. My bad on assuming that was a given. Its the only way I know to wipe it clean.

I will try to remove DTM and start again. But, if I reinstall DTM fresh, I will probably try to upgrade first just to see if it works. If that fails I will put the latest OS on manually like before.

Thanks.

OS v5.0.0.484
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

OK -- there are several methods of Wiping...JL_Cmdr being the most drastic.

I'd suggest then trying the clean DTM procedure. I know that I had a couple of challenges on mine when I went up to 5.0. I had left the prior device OS package installed atop DTM. Not sure if that was truly causal since I also migrated up to Win7 at the time. But the total clean uninstall followed by total clean install seemed to allow my situation to work. Also be certain that you have the exact device OS package for your specific BB from your specific carrier.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I need a few solid hours, so I probably won't get to this until Wednesday, but I would bet this is caused by the upgrade to DTM v5. Just a hunch. It upgraded fine before the upgrade, so why not afterward? I will let you know.

Thanks a million.

OS v5.0.0.484