Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700, OS 5.0.430
My Carrier: Orange

Cannot update phone

[ Edited ]

For the last 4 days we're tried updating the Bold 9700 and its applications using the desktop manager. It shows the phone needs updating, gets the list and we choose update. It backs everything up, starts to update/download what's needed, then after reducing the number of files by a few, fails every time with:

There's no problem with my network. After it's failed like this, I have to relaunch the manager if I want to try again as checking for updates no longer detects that updates are needed. I then get the same message after backing up without it even starting to download any part of the updates this time. No matter when I try throughout the rest of the day the same thing happens. It's only first thing in the morning, around 7.30am UK time, that I get that initial downloading taking place before the failure. Something is clearly wrong. Can anyone help?

MAC OS 10.5.8

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Cannot update phone

Surely somebody has something to say on this matter? My colleague has exactly the same problem when he tries to update too. There must be other Brits out there who can comment?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let me update this for anyone who's having the same problem and finds this post at a later date.

I've now tried updating it with 2 Macs, one running 10.5 the other 10.6. According to BB's website there are newer versions available, but the updates that show up as being needed on my phone according to the Manager, have the version numbers 5.0.0 after them, when I clearly have a newer version on-board than that anyway.

It says there are 1375 files to download when I start the update, which seems an awful lot considering only 15 items show up in the list. Even though it then says it's downloading, when I do a network check nothing is coming in at all, which may explain the original error message.

The whole thing seems so amateurish when it comes to Mac support. At least as a Windows user you can download the actual OS update file if you want to. It isn't just affecting me, there must be plenty of people out there having this frustrating BB experience too.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and an iMac running 10.6.4 with the latest Blackberry Desktop for Mac (v1.0.4 build 10) that just came out August 2010 and it will NOT allow me to update the handheld software either.  It is for a different reason. It says I don't have enough memory on my handheld, but that does not make any sense since I have totally wiped my handheld.

Is RIM every going to figure this software out??  Years in the making and they still can't get a functioning software app for the Mac !

-----------------------------------------------
Lance