Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: O2

Cannot use Wifi unless Mobile Network Data Services switched on

I have a Torch 9800, I do not have BBM I am on a standard tariff with O2. I cannot browse web unless I have my Data Services switched on, and the phone uses data to browse.

If I switch Data Services off I can browse web using Wifi, but I cannot receive texts or phone calls.

Is there a setting I need to change so that phone automatically uses Wifi to browse net, but still allows phone calls etc?

Thanks

Carol

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Cannot use Wifi unless Mobile Network Data Services switched on

If you have your Mobile Network as well as Wi-Fi turned on, your phone will default to the Wi-Fi for browsing (assuming you have a strong Wi-Fi signal).  Leaving both on will allow you to browse as well as receive calls and texts.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hi

If I have both turned on I know it should default to Wifi, but that is the problem, it does not.

If both monbile network and Wifi are on it uses my data allowance, I have to turn off mobile network, and leave data services on, for it to use Wifi?

Thanks

Carol

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Cannot use Wifi unless Mobile Network Data Services switched on

While both Network and Wi-Fi are turned on, go to your homescreen and follow Manage Connections>Service Status (I think that's the path, it's been a while since I've used pre-BB 10). Look under BlackBerry Internet Service and see how you're connected.

Post back with your results. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your reply, details below:-

Mobile voice - connection - Mobile Network

Blabkberry Internet - Not Connected

Blackberry Enterprise Server - Not Connected

Wi-Fi Network - Not Connected (if I click on Wi-Fi in set up Wi-Fi connection is says it is already connected)

I await your feedback.

Thanks

Carol