Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

Cannot view YouTube videos

When I try to view a YouTube video I get the following response:  "The protocol specified is not supported by the handheld.  Please try a different URL."

How can I view YouTube videos?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Cannot view YouTube videos

hello amathis.
you are new to Blackberry, so you ask questions. Many other people like you also did so. They got answers, and these answers are still available in the forum. Please do a quick search before asking the same question.

forums >> search >> youtube

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Wow!  I am SOO sorry to have inconvenienced you with my post.  It must be really tiring going through post after post looking for possible duplicate questions so that you can have a reason to chastise someone.  I bet you feel better already.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Amathis. You may ask questions on this forum without searching for previous messages similar to your problem. >Xandrex should, in my opinion,  apologize for the rudeness. 

I would like to add that these forums are usually open and friendly, not what you have experienced  at all. Please feel free to continue to use the forum, and ask  a question without  worrying if some impatient person may chastise you for their short comings.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks,

Writer~
Contributor

Thank you!  I've been searching for a way to update my 8310.  I downloaded the Desktop manager 4.5, but is there something else I need to update on the device itself?  On the download list, there isn't anything that I can see for the 8310.  It has the 8320, but that's all.  Any suggestions?
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Amathis

You are indeed welcome.  As to the download. If you have downloaded the 4.5 Desktop manager, you must also download the 4.5 onto your Curve. Depending on your carrier,  you may go to their website and download the 4.5 However, from what I understand, in the USA , the only carrier that has the 4.5 update is ATT. All others may or may not have the update. Not sure about Sprint.. I do know that Verizon does NOT have the update as of today 8-6-08/ I have Verizon. As for T-Mobile, I do not think they have introduced the 4.5 either. Please check with your carrier to see if they will be rolling out the new OS , and what date. I hope this helps, and I also hope you do not stay a stranger  to these Forums. Should you have any other questions, just ask them . Someone will, I am sure, work hard to help you overcome these small BB problems. Good Luck!

Thanks,

Writer~
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Writer wrote:

If you have downloaded the 4.5 Desktop manager, you must also download the 4.5 onto your Curve.

the Desktop Manager (4.1, 4.3, 4.5...) and the Handheld OS (4.2, 4.2.2 and soon 4.5) are two different things. It's just by chance that both version numbers are the same today. You can use Desktop Manager 4.5 without having Handheld OS 4.5 (as of today, very few people use the Handheld OS 4.5 since it is not officially available for every carrier).

Desktop Manager allows some features concerning synchronization, whereas HandHeld Device allow many everyday features, like being able to open an XLS file that is on your memory card, or in some cases being able to read emails in HTML (as opposed to simple text). When I say "in some cases", it is because that functionnality is available only if the HH OS is 4.5 and if the BES or BIS does not disable it.

The official listing for Handheld OS er carrier is available here :

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

HI, I too have the same problem.

My carrier is NOT on the official list, but I DLed Vodafone's Australia update and upgraded with that SW.

I'm up and running now, and I am now enjoying all but one of 4.5 benefits:

- HTML eMails (Ok)

- video capture (Ok)

- audio self-notes (Ok)

- calendar updated functions (Ok)

- youtube support (not working)

If i go to m.youtube.com i can browse the thumbnails, choose them, and when I hit "watch video" i get the media player screen (new format) but that's as far as I can go. Apparently there's no further OTA activity, and the player just sits there...

I've searched for a situation similar to mine with no luck. Can someone shed some light here?

Thx..

Message Edited by manolofc on 12-21-2008 12:18 PM