Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Changed to iPhone - need old contact list from DM

After going through 4 (that's right, FOUR) Torches in the last year, the last one did it for me so ATT let me trade the 9810 in for a new iPhone4S (my first Apple product ever).  Everything was fine until I plugged in the usb to charge the phone on my computer, instead of on the wall outlet.  At that point I lost almost all of my phone numbers and email addresses from my contacts.  Since I don't have all the phone numbers in Outlook I can't get them from there so I need to retrieve the contact info from the Desktop Manager software which backed everything up to my PC.  It needs to be backed up in a way that Apple can then retrieve it and get it into my phone.  How's that for a HUGE problem?  I sure do hope someone out there is a genius and can tell me how to do this.  I'm not tech savvy and am totally depending on this forum to help - i know there's someone out there who knows how to do this - PLEASE, I'm begging you, PLEASE help! 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Changed to iPhone - need old contact list from DM

Hello,

Lacking your actual BB, you must seek 3rd party solutions. But, on your PC, there should be files with IPD extension (*.IPD). These are the files that are created when you used the RIM Desktop Software to backup your BB to your PC. They are not, however, natively "readable" by anything...their original intent is to be used as the source for restoring to a BB via the RIM Desktop Software, not to a different device. So, you need to seek out IPD reader software for your PC that can parse these files so that you can retrieve your data. There are several "out there"...a quick search with your favorite engine on the search term "IPD Reader" should reveal some useful candidates for you.

As for how to get that data, once extracted from the IPD, into your iFruit device, well that's for some other forum to provide to you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: Changed to iPhone - need old contact list from DM

Thanks a million!! I appreciate your help. Apple said they will make the transfer if I can get the info into something they can access like iTunes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
New Contributor

Re: Need to find software reader for IPD extensions

I was advised to find an IPD reader to be able to read the information that BB Desktop Manager saves on my computer but I can't find any.  Every site I go to either doesn't mention IPD as a format they read, or tells me the page no longer exists.  Does anyone out there know of a software for this?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

What did you use as your search term? In, for instance, Google, if I search on "IPD Reader", the very first one on the list is one that I know to be valid. There are others as well...someone on this site once posted a link to an Excel Macro that would do the work...unfortunately, I don't have that link anymore, but perhaps if you search on this site for something like that it would work.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

The software that comes up first (Magic.....) causes me to get an alert saying it is not commonly downloaded and could harm my computer\

New Contributor

I went through Google but the first one that pops up stops before it finishes downloading and says it it not commonly downloaded and could harm my computer.
Hall of Famer III

I've never seen that message for MagicBerry...I know of many who use it quite safely. Whatever your local PC virus protection is must be rather heavily constrained, more than most.

Good luck!

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

Then use the BlackBerry Backup Extractor. After you extract your data here is how to import vCard contacts into Gmail.