Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Torch 9810
My Carrier: vodafone

Changing Sim Cards but not network & keeping existing number.

I am changing account administrators but staying with Vodafone. The changeover is not until next week but I have the new phone already. If I put my existing sim in the new phone will I need to re register for the Blackberry internet service when I put my new sim card in when the new account goes live next week? The phone number is not changing.

I am not sure if the Internet service is linked to the phone, the phone number or the sim card? Being as I am staying with Vodafone will it make any diference?

Or should I just be patient and do it next week?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Changing Sim Cards but not network & keeping existing number.

Download the BlackBerry Desktop Software and use the Switch Device Wizard within.

Connect the old device first, do a back up, etc., and when you connect the new device you should be prompted with a question if you want to switch device. If not, follow the Device > Switch path and complete the switch.

Then move the SIM card card into the new device. All you data, messages, preferences, contacts, calendar, etc., should be moved over to the new device.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Torch 9810
My Carrier: vodafone

Thanks for the reply JSanders, I have done that procedure on a previous occasion but wondered what the implications of changing the sim card over next week if I changed phones now. I basically want to know if its just a case of changing the sims over next week when the new one is activated.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you start using the new phone now and don't change the SIM card until next week, you won't have mobile service on the new phone now... until you insert the SIM card.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code