Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Charging Problems

When I attach a charger sometimes it charges and shows the bolt, sometimes it doesn't and I have to reinsert the charger a number of times before it shows the bolt.  I have this problem with various types of charges (wall, desk pod, and car).  They all have the same problem. 

Also, at times after inserting the charging cord and it does show the bolt signifying it is charging, it just stops charging without touching the handheld.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thx

Re: Charging Problems

I have noticed the same problems as well with the blackberry storm. Almost all the time, the charging bolt will not appear when the charger is plugged in. I always press the end button on the phone and the charging bolt appears. I believe it is a software problem with the phone that it does not update it's status continously until the user presses any key on the phone. A simple bug that should be fixed with upcoming blackberry software updates.

Another problem is that sometimes the charging bolt will appear but the phone will not charge. Again, I believe another software issue with charging. Everything on the phone is coordinated with software even the charging itself. A simple fix to this in the meantime until an update is available, is to take out the battery and wait ten seconds, replace the battery, wait for the phone to boot (usually takes a minute or two), insert the charger and of course the charging bolt does not show, so press the end button or any key for that matter and everything should be okay. A trick that I use to see if the phone is actually charging than wait to see four hours later to see if it actually did charge is to feel the charger itself. It should be warm to the touch on the adapter portion which means the phone is drawing a current to charge, this ensures a charge is occuring.  

I know no one should be doing these types of things with a phone, but hopefully it all gets fixed soon with some type of an update. 

Contributor

....Another day another problem for Jerseygeorge and this silly little device.  I bumped this post becuase I have experienced this for 48 hours now, kind of coinciding with the day I put .99 on.

I turned the phone off Tues night, gave it a full charge.  Wed Morning, No charge, phone at half strength on Battery meter.  Used it Wed sparingly, battery went to red by end of day.  Fine, no problem.

Wed evening (last night) plugged it in, clock came on, checked thunderbolt, it was really charging so I left it alone.

Thursday morning, no charge.

If someone has any quick ideas before I go about returning this critter when Verizon opens this am, please hit me up.  In advance, thank you.  Oh Yeah, I have done a battery pull.....

New Contributor

i got these couple of problems in charging issue either. when i plug my storm in to charge it doesnt seem to be charging. right after i plugged it in, this red Led on the right top of the phone comes up but never been a sign of this bolt or clock on the screen though i did not make any change of preferences during charging process. it is just black. also never responsive. 

i tried to remove the battery and plug it in to charge , screen showed up with an empty battery sign on it this lasts 4 sec. then it turned off itself. so i place the battery again and leave it to recharge deperately  

This red led lasts just for while, what is that red led for?? is it normal that it only lights for a while??

is it a problem with battery itself?? i used it till the battery died out so do i need to charge it for dayss?? or what??

any helps appreciated

best,,

New Contributor
My Device: storm
My Carrier: verizon

The BlackBerry Storm has many, many problems.  Charging it is just one problem.  Often the phone will not turn on.  The help desk will tell you to take the battery out and put it back in.  If that doesn't work, charge for two hours - take the battery out and put it back in  - then leave it on the charger for the rest of the day.  They will tell you other variations of taking the battery out and putting it back in.  There are delicate parts in the battery compartment - obviously it wasn't meant to be disasembled and put back togther daily.  The batteries appear to have a 6 month life.  These batteries seem to be semi-rechargable.  You just have to replace the batteries like you would in a well used flashlight.

I gave up on all these little tricks to get the phone to charge or just to turn on.  There are many uncaught exceptions in the operating system and the basic phone software.  I threw the BlackBerry storm away and got a Motorola DEVOUR.  It's is a much better product, but not perfect as it has software defects also.  So far, the Devour charges and turns on

I suggest that you discard the BlackBerry Storm and get something else before it drives you insane.

New Contributor
My Device: storm
My Carrier: verizon

I think you should not turn the BlackBerry Storm off once you get it to turn on.   I finally got my Blackberry working again when I turned it off and charged it one night.  It took forever and many, many phone calls to the help desk to get it turned back on.  It appears that you should never use the power button to turn the BlackBerry Storm off.   You might not be able to get it to turn back on.  Of course, when it gets locked up, you have to take the battery out and put it back in.  Tech support calls this a 'power cycle'.   BlackBerry Storm hasn't perfected the on/off switch yet - there are operation system bugs in the on/off controlsSmiley Very Happy

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

bl98155 wrote:

I threw the BlackBerry storm away and got a Motorola DEVOUR.  It's is a much better product, but not perfect as it has software defects also.  So far, the Devour charges and turns on

I suggest that you discard the BlackBerry Storm and get something else before it drives you insane.

Ordinarily I wouldn't repond to a post that has been dormant for so long but the new posting brings up a "new" thought.

The Devour has software defects also....surprise, surprise.  Welcome to the real world.  All devices will have issues.  You can either work your way through and find solutions or you can keep making trips down to your carrier or reseller and buy what you "think" will be a defect free device.

I had a 9530 before I was given a 9550.  Were it not for being given a 9550 I would still be using the 9530.   Yes, I had some issues but none that I couldn't resolve.  There was an issue with the two drives being recognized but an OS upgrade resolved that issue.  I had no battery/charging issues not caused by the applications or features.

Perhaps one day there will be devices that are released without issues but that day hasn't arrived yet.  We are part of the problem.  We make demands upon the manufacturers to make their device perform so many functions and be more like a competitors.  We fuel the production cycle and then complain when the product doesn't meet our expectations.

Few purchasers fully research the various devices prior to purchase and complain that it isn't what they expected.  Many individuals refuse to make their carrier live up to their warranty obligations and then complain that the warranty is no good.

Many individuals purchase a device released for a particular carrier and are surprised when it does't work as expected on a different carrier's network.

Many posts are made on this and other fora from individuals who have not bothered to even scan the documentation that came with the device,  Granted the documentation does not cover everything but it is a good start.  It is somewhat amusing to read a post from individuals who have no clue on even the simplest of menu operations.  Sad, but amusing nonetheless.

So, go ahead and keep jumping ship.  Hopefully, there will continue to be sufficient ships for you.  I hope the other manufacturers provide a support forum for you.  You will need it.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

Is that your response to someone asking for help then? I too have not used my Blackberry Storm since experiencing this charging problem, whatever it is, as there seems to be a blackout on anyone doing a thing about it, despite me - and many others - spendign a LOT of money on these things.

I'm not a phone/Blackberry techie, or geek of any kind, so have simply had to resort to my old crappy mobile phone, despite paying for the Storm.

I'm well aware that things have issues, but I am also well aware that manufacturers generally DO SOMETHING TO HELP THOSE WHO HAVE PAID FOR THEIR GOODS.

Not Blackberry, clearly, as I can find NOTHING to help me, despite checking regularly for six months. Quite frankly, I think that is long enough for the issue to be sorted, so please, save your self-righteous rantings for someone who hasn't basically thrown away a lot of money on your product.

What a complete wasteof time. I will NEVER, repeat NEVER, buy or advice anyone to buy a Blackberry.

They simply don't charge. And no one will help you either, which is great. They'll just tell you every product has flaws. Thanks for that. 

New Contributor
My Device: BB Storm (1st gen)

[ Edited ]

i too am digging up this thread for good reason. I have had my storm now for 2 years. Right after I bought it, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread (and it wasnt an Iphone) TILL I updated to OS 5.0.0.xxx (something like 3-4 months after purchase) which i painstakenly reverted back to the 4.xx.xx OS after reading threads like this ALL over the internet and then going back to Verizon and even the sales clerk told me to revert back to an earlier version.

The fact of the matter is this:

There has been enough time for RIM to resolve this issue and after updating 3 days ago from the time that i post this, the issue HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED. This for lack of better phrasing is "an unwanted unrepared inconformity" which is subjected to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) intervention.

The reason I say this is because the 5.0 update handles memory better than the 4.xx where I was doing a battery pull reset ever few days because the available memory was less than 2MB constantly right after a pull. (I have wasted over $40 on so called "memory cleaners" which were all junk) After the 5.0 update I did not have to do a battery pull once for memory or the lack there of as the available application memory was 26.2MB to 28.0MB. As soon as I used the wall charger instead of plugging in my storm into the PC, the ever so haunting USB message showed up again. USB?? REALLY??? from a wall charger????

RIM you really REALLY need to get your DEV team's act together and resolve this. I have faithfully flaunted the storms reliability, connectability and above all else physical / mechanical / electrical  endurance in a very very harsh working environment where other phones such as the iphone and all these new droid phones fail and break. I work in a power generating station in Illinois and the working conditions just destroys most phones ability to connect.

Verizons outlook on the subject is "revert to the old OS", Blackberry's support line says "were working on it, revert back to the old OS"

REALLY? after 2 years STILL??? Even Microsoft fixes things faster than that Smiley Sad

I should not have to do a battery pull EVERY time I want to charge my phone, or revert to an older OS with outdated security and functions in order to use a product. How long do you think the phone would last pullng the battery 3-4 times a day??? Not to mention the constant checking to see if I have missed messages durring the reboot.

Of the million + Storms sold, I wonder how many of them are still in service. And of those still in service, how many of the owners would be willing to join a class action lawsuit for RIM's failure to offer reliable and servicable updates for a product still in contractual service??

RIM = FAIL

New Contributor
My Device: BB Storm (1st gen)

OK

After speaking with a Tier 2 Service rep, I finally got this issue resolved which basicly involved backing up the phone and doing a full security wipe

click:

OPTIONS

SECURITY OPTIONS

SECURITY WIPE

(checked all 3 boxes)

typed in blackberry

the charging issue and connection issue is gone thus far, BUT now i have lost all my applications and blackberry app world will not connect and ive been trying to get this thing to work for a few hours now BUT on the + side, I do not have the charging issue anymore