Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry tour 9630
My Carrier: MTS
Accepted Solution

Charging problem?

Hey I was just wondering if someone could help me out, I have never run my battery completely dead before so I don't know myself. When I plugged in my blackberry to the wall charger to charge, the indicator light will light up red for a few seconds then shut off, then it will light up again then shut off, keeps doing this, does this mean it is charging? I left it charging over night and tried to turn it on in the morning but it was still completely dead. Sometimes the charger has problems making a connection, and usually I can see when that is happening from the lightening bolt sign when the phone is on... So I'm wondering if it was just because it wasn't making a connection before that it didn't charge... and if the red light on and off indicates that it is charging or not?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Charging problem?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is a KB that discusses the LED states as related to charging:

• KB18223 Charging behavior of the BlackBerry smartphone

It is possible that you indeed did not get a good connection to charge. It is also possible that, by fully depleting it, the battery has been damaged and rendered useless.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry tour 9630
My Carrier: MTS

thanks! ended up taking my phone in, and they told me my battery was garbage... bought a new one, popped it in and started to charge it, about an hour later this new battery was fried. Turns out somehow my charger has turned into a battery fryer. another battery and charger later blackberry is back in business... yeesh. :s

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8130

Hi,

I own a blackberry pearl 8130. when i charge the mobile with a charger, it doesn't get charged & the indicator(lighting bolt) blinks only for 2 seconds. And now my battery is totally discharged. Please can anybody help me

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

Hi, 

I need an urgent reply please. I'm from Manila, Philippines and I have this Blackberry Storm2 and I bought it used last week. And its just working perfect and when the typhoon strike us yesterday, my battery got drained and I cant charge because there is no power in town. So I went to my friends house to charge my phone. And it was charging. But since we have to go to the mall, I unplugged it with 30% battery life. 

And when we got home, the problem began to start. The phone isnt charging. I tried other charge, it works for just a couple of seconds like the bolt indicator will show up and dissappear all of a sudden without a touch. So I read posts in google and I followed power cycle. Remove and put back the batterry after several minutes. And still it didnt worked. Now I got home from my friends house, I tried to use travel charger, it worked.

So my question is, what could be the problem? Is it the usb plug on my phone or the battery? But whenever I plug it via usb port it can be read by my computer perfectly. 

Replies and suggestions would be very much appreciated. *im so sad. I love my BB Smiley Sad *

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

ianmacalincag wrote:

Now I got home from my friends house, I tried to use travel charger, it worked.

So my question is, what could be the problem? Is it the usb plug on my phone or the battery?

Given that the travel charger worked, the problem would be indicated to be with the other chargers and/or the power outlets to which they were attached. Given that the travel charger worked, there would not be any indication of a problem with the BB itself.

To be sure, you'd have to obtain a different known-good charger and otherwise ensure that the power outlet is also good. Then see if it then works. If so, then the problem indeed was with the charger and/or the power outlet.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Blackberry tour 9030
My Carrier: Unlocked

Hi
I just bought a blackberry your 9030 off amazon cause I needed a new phone. It's unlocked and it should work with t-mobile. I put in the battery and started charging the phone and the red light turns on for a few seconds then turns off. After that the lightning bolt shows up and it stays like that. I tried charging it over night and nothing happened.
Hall of Famer III

HuskyFangs wrote:
Hi
I just bought a blackberry your 9030 off amazon cause I needed a new phone. It's unlocked and it should work with t-mobile. I put in the battery and started charging the phone and the red light turns on for a few seconds then turns off. After that the lightning bolt shows up and it stays like that. I tried charging it over night and nothing happened.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

My Device: Blackberry tour 9030
My Carrier: Unlocked

Thanks a bunch. Ill try them as soon as I can.