Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Clean Blackberry Track Ball

Does anyone have a way to clean the track ball on the Pearl 8100??

I have several users that say the ball sticks sometime.

Thanks

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Clean Blackberry Track Ball

Check the link Trackball Cleaning for details on the issue. This is not recommanded and do it at your own risk.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

My Device: Not Specified

Quick fix: Re: Clean Blackberry Track Ball

Hello!  I think I might have a good fix for this.  I have had my Pearl for about 19 months, without a replacement.  I have had mine stop going down, and just recently it stopped going to the left.  sometimes if I push hard on it and move it around, that kind of snaps it out of it, but today I got thinking that maybe the surface finish was getting too smooth.  Remember, when it's brand new, it's sort of coarse?  Anyway, I know keyboards I have had start out with a dull finish and get glossy over time, from just wear of the material.  So, I took a large piece of cardboard, put it face down, so the trackball would be touching it, and just moved it around fairly fast, pressing not extremely hard, but firmly.  side to side, up and down, in circles, just to try and scuff the surface every so slightly.  I figure, if the sensors need a little bit of coarseness to pick up the motion of the ball, (as opposed to a mouseball, because a mouseball interfaces with small wheels in three directions), I thought maybe this would help. 

After doing this, my track ball seems to be working perfectly in all directions.  I'm not sure if the coarseness of the cardboard actually cleans the BALL, or if the ball is worn smooth, and the cardboard actually scuffs the surface just enough to help the sensors, but my trackball is working perfectly now.

Highlighted
My Device: Pearl 8100
My Carrier: MTN

Re: Quick fix: Re: Clean Blackberry Track Ball

Thank you. Between this suggestion, cleaning it with Mentholated spirits (don't have pure alcohol) & another suggestion I have got it working. This is great. Thanks again