Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Telus

Cleaning Out Storage Space

[ Edited ]

Hi, Im trying to get some more memory from my phone. I have a 2gig card in there. Under Apps, it says i only have 6mb left, and its in red. Is that normal?  Also, under Media Card Storage, it says total space 1.8 GB and free space 1.3 GB . I remember when i downlaoded a app a few months ago, i had over 20 mb free, since then i have downloaded 1 or 2 and i thought i deleted more than i downloaded. Maybe im not deleting them right? Under Apps, the ones are still there but they are faded and i can instantly "Re-install" them . Any ideas or tricks i can do to make sure i have everything cleared out that i dont need? Thanks

I just looked , and i have 7 apps installed. My App memory is 256mb and i have 6mb left. Something seems wierd.

Developer
My Device: 9300 3G Curve
My Carrier: Tata Docomo

Re: Cleaning Out Storage Space

Hi,

A quick restart of ur BB can do the job...u need to swich off ur BB, open the back cover n take out the batter for few seconds, say 10 secs...then reinsert the batter n start ur BB...once ur BB is fully restarted, chk the application memory again, hopefully it will show free space more than 6mb...

i would recommend you to keep the application memory more than 10mb for smooth operation of ur BB... Do restart ur BB once every 2-3 days...

One more thing u can do is to clean the cache memory of ur BB on a regular basis...for this u need to go to the normal home screen(the screen which shows the wallpaper), there press alt key(and keep it pressed) n type LGLG n then release the alt key, u will see a hell lot of things...just click the BB button n then click "clear log"...jobs done...

Hope this info will be of some help to u... 

with regards
simply abhik...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click "Accept as Solution" if your issue has been solved and to give thanks/appreciation, click thumbs up...
For BB OS update: http://us.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update.html
BB Simulators: http://us.blackberry.com/sites/developers/resources/simulators.html
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Contributor

Thanks alot, good call. It went up to 25mb now. But how can i have 225mb used up with 7 apps?

Contributor

Something funny is going on, after the battery pull, it jumps up to 25 mb, then a hour later , i check it, and its back down to 6-7  mb without me downloading anything. Weird.....Any sollutions?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

It sounds like you have a persistent app that has a memory leak. Do a batt pull reboot. Once it's up and running normal (~15 minutes?), hold down the Menu key to see what is persistently running. When AppMemory drops as you see, do that again and see if that list of persistent apps has changed at all. If not, then one of them is your likely culprit. And, it's most likely not BBM, Messages, Home, Phone. It could be Browser if you've left the web browser on some sort of active web site that is doing something odd. Otherwise, it'll be something other than those 5.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Developer

Hi again,

It seems that ur having prob with one of the 7 apps that is installed in ur BB...i can give a hit n trial method as am not physically able to see ur BB...but b4 that, can u jst tell me the name of the 7 apps that r installed in ur BB...am not sure, but that info might help...

with regards
simply abhik...
Please click "Accept as Solution" if your issue has been solved and to give thanks/appreciation, click thumbs up...
BB Simulators: http://us.blackberry.com/sites/developers/resources/simulators.html
Contributor

Hello....I will try the above mentioned method this evening, but i wanted to list my 7 apps.

They are ....

Blackberry App World ( which i never upgrade)

Black Berry Messenegr ( Which i live on )

Facebook (rarely use it)

Google Talk ( Never use it)

Twitter ( Never use it)

Windows Live messenger ( Never use it)

Mega SMileys  ( For BBM)  ( Use it alot)

Developer

Hi,

All the apps that u named r the most common ones, except for the Mega SMileys ( For BBM), so i guess that might be the root couse of the issue...so, i wud suggest u to delete that app n chk whether the issue has been solved or not...

Do go for a reboot after u delete the app...if after doin this also, the prob is not solved then i wud suggest u to go for a reinstallation of the OS... 

with regards
simply abhik...
Contributor

Just an update, so everytime i do a battery pull, my App storage memory bounces back to about 20 mb ( still in the red)  of the 256 mb. Then at the end of the day, its back to under 10mb. Still i wonder, how can 7 apps take up all that space?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The space is not consumed by those apps alone. There also is the core BB Operating System in that same area, plus all of the databases that the BB contains are also in the same memory space:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

It is also possible that your OS itself has a memory leak flaw...but we don't know your OS level. Nevertheless, you can check the download portal to see if perhaps there is a newer OS from somewhere:

The amount of available AppMemory will constantly fluctuate. As apps write/delete/change data that is stored in one of the databases, the exact amount will fluctuate. Plus, you say you have only 7 apps...but I cannot tell...if you are seeing those 7 on the AppSwitcher Ribbon, then those are just your 7 persistent apps. Any other apps that are installed to your BB also are consuming AppMemory:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................