Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: US Cellular
Accepted Solution

Clear Device Memory

I have a Tour 9630, running OS v5.0.0.484 on a US Cellular network. I'm receiving a "device memory full" prompt but I have deleted all but two apps totaling 3mb, there are no pictures and only the required applications still installed on the phone. Why does the 252.5mb of application storage continue to read as full?? - Saltydog

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Clear Device Memory

Hello,

Clarify please -- "Device" or "Application" memory...technically, they are separate things, and you've mentioned both of them in your post...

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

I use memory booster, which is a really good app for these type of cases.

New Contributor

I was able to correct the problem by "Resetting to Factory Settings" from the BlackBerry Desktop Software.  

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Excellent! Had we been able to understand your situation, we may well have gotten to that recommendation (though certainly not as a first choice...likely something less destructive first).

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the follow up and for the benefit of the BB community I'd be interested in your recommendation for a less destructive solution. It was the application memory that was reading full despite only having about 105mb of applications loaded on the phone. Prior to "Resetting to Factory" from the BB desktop software I tried deleting device data which had no effect. Interested in your thoughts.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Thanks for coming back with more information...it always helps our ever-growing "knowledge base" that this site is becoming.

I'm not sure exactly what "deleting device data" means in your case -- AppMemory and Device Memory are separate memory areas, so doing something in one would not affect the other. Rather, via AppLoader, you can remove optional components of the OS (e.g., languages) that you don't need, apps that are extraneous, etc. There also are less-destructive levels of WIPE, with ResetToFactory being the most destructive (of the native methods, that is).

You also need to be sure that you are checking your AppMemory right after a fresh batt-pull reboot, before other apps have been able to begin consuming AppMemory for their purposes. After a little time (maybe an hour), you can generally discover a "normal" level for your situation...assuming of course there is nothing with any memory leaks, as those would cause an inability to really properly analyze what's going on with AppMemory.

There is also Safe Mode as a diagnostic...to see how things are when all 3rd party apps are prevented from auto-loading whatever they have.

Further, an even more destructive (and indeed "cleaner") method is to perform a different kind of WIPE (e.g., BBSAK or JLCMDR) and then reload the OS cleanly, but being sure to leave off all of those optional things during the initial reload. This is actually the best way to maximize your AppMemory available storage...sometimes, merely removing (post-install) things (e.g., apps, languages, etc.) does not release quite as much AppMemory as just never installing them at all would provide for.

Further still, there may be updated OS levels that handle memory better (or, yes, worse...always a possibility!) than the current version you are running.

Those are about all the thoughts I've got on the topic...there are of course several official KBs on the matter:

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

It is always, of course, important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press blackberry_logo.jpg and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Cheers!