Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Close app shortcut

I found out my Blackberry Curve was running slow because I kept going into different applications (the camera, calendar, etc.) but I wasn't closing them. I kept hitting the End key which brough me back to the home screen and left the app running in the background.

So my question is: is there a shortcut key or key combination I can use to close an app without having to go through the menu.

Thanks. 

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Close app shortcut

There is shortcut button to scroll through running apps but you have to enter into that apps to close it down. Hold Alt button and press in escape button...You'll get the a pop up of running apps. Select the one which you want to close.  In BlackBerry apps will always be running these are...Phone, Messages, BlackBerry Messenger, Home Screen and Browser.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

I figured that part out.

I was just hoping that there would be an easier way to close an app so that in the future, I'm not bogging down my device. I'd much rather click a button to close a program than scroll through a menu to close an app if that's at all possible. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]
when you're on an application, you can close it :
- using the Escape key (except for the browser)
- open the menu, scroll down to the bottom and click the trackball on the "close" item.

Escape key is fast. I know that on windows Mobile phones, you can have a Task Manager just like in Windows, and there is a button "close all applications" which is very convenient. I guess Blackerry IT thinks it's not important.
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-01-2008 01:26 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

From the makers of AutoStandby and StormLock comes QuickPull, a FREE tool that frees memory quickly by simulating a "battery pull" soft reset. QuickPull is extremely easy and convenient to use. Compatible with all BlackBerry devices with OS 4.5+!

Features:
  • FREE
  • Simulates a "battery pull" equivalent reset
  • Integrates with AutoStandby
  • Ability to schedule to run daily
  • *FIXED* IllegalArgumentException
  • *NEW* Automatically accepts reset dialog

http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=27660&n=QuickPull-v2-%28BETA%29

This isn't a total solution to your problem, but it helps make closing apps a little quicker. Once in the app you want to close you can click on the BlackBerry button and hit the C key. Hitting it once jumps to the first thing on that list that starts with a C and clicking it again will jump to the next option that starts with a C. That way you can hit the BB button and jump down to Close without having to scroll.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

thanks, that helps a great deal.