Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Company Email without Blackberry Enterprise Server Software

I do not currently own a Blackberry device (or any smartphone or PDA) and I am considering upgrading to one now that my Verizon 2 year contract is up for my current phone.  I work for a small sales rep company with a total of 8 people.  A couple of my co workers have upgraded to Windows based smartphones and a few are still using regular cell phones.

I am considering the 8830 specifically because it does not have a camera built in as I have a number of accounts that do not allow visitors to bring camera phones into their facility.  My questions is can I easily set up and sync with our company email if we do not have the Blackberry Enterprise Server Software.  I work remotely from our office where our server is located and connect via a VPN and Microsoft Exchange Server.  Will there be any limitations by not using the Blackberry Enterprise Server Software?

Being a small company we do not have any internal IT experts and contract out IT support from a company who set up our server.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Company Email without Blackberry Enterprise Server Software

for email on a BlackBerry device, you have the following options :

• BES. It's the Rolls Royce. You have to pay the price for it (a BES server, as well as admins, OR use a private BES service)
  • BIS. It's the one for regular people. You can't deal with folders, but it's free and works on any email address using POP3 or IMAP
  • BIS over Outlook Web Access. It's like BIS but through the webmail Outlook Web Access. Depending on the version of Outlook Web Access, it is or not possible for you to connect to it
  • webmails Smiley Happy
  • a dedicated email application, like GMail for BlackBerry
  • BlackBerry Unite -> check the documentation on the website about that. Basically, it's like a tiny BES.

Watch out, unlike Windows Mobile devices, there are no true IMAP clients available on the BlackBerry devices (you can use BIS over IMAP but without folders for example).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: