Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Comparison Curve-Bold-Torch or others

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I was not sure where to post my question...

Currently I have a Curve 8900 (had it for 18 months), and I am facing a lot of problems with it:

Bad battery life (i am charging it 3 to 4 times a day), I updated the OS and it went crazy, I downgraded it again and it is going crazy in a another way...

I am thinking of getting a new one.

Would you recommend Torch, Bold, Curve, or a different model?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Comparison Curve-Bold-Torch or others

I've owned a Bold 9000, a Bold 9700 and now a Torch 9800.  I would recommend any of them but I believe the Torch stands out for many reasons.

First of all, the large screen is a bonus; websites look better when you can see more of them, pics look better as well and videos are nice when you can actually see the video without squinting.

I also like the touchscreen.  I wasn't a big fan of touchscreens when I owned a competitor's brand of phone but I've grown to really like it.  The nice thing about the Torch is how about 95% of the functions can be accessed and controlled by the trackpad if you don't want to use the touchscreen.  The dual keyboards (virtual and physical) are also a nice touch.  You can also switch between trackpad/touchscreen seamlessly (it's fun writing half an email on the slide-out board and the rest on the touchscreen).

The Torch has a good camera, 5 MP, and good internal memory.

I honestly believe you can't go wrong with any BlackBerry model (except, maybe, the Tour with its so-called battery), but I wholeheartedly endorse the Torch over any other model.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Not Specified

Hello BillJ,

Thanks a lot for your input. Very helpful

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

for regular devices, RIM has three main lines.

Pearl is high end device, non-RIM form factor.

Curve is low end device with a RIM form factor

Bold is high end device, with a RIM form factor

the Pearl & the Bold series bear the same features except :

• keyboard (Pearl is SureType, Bold is QWERTY)
  • screen (Pearl is non standard vertical screen, Bold is 4:3 screen 480x360, except the old 9000 model which was reduced)

the Curve series is low CPU, smal screen (320x240). The latest model, the Curve 3G 9300, has 3G.

That being said, the 8900 is very specific. Despite its name, it has the CPU & screen of a Bold. The keyboard is the one of a Curve though. So if you switch to a Curve 3G, it would be a downgrade for you, despite having 3G. You also lose the flash light.

TheTorch is a special device. It is attached to the Bold series : the keyboard is alike to the Bold, but much slimmer in depth (you have to try it to understand). As for any Bold models, you type by deepening the keys in diagonal and not vertically like you would do on the 8900. I really dislike that so I can only suggest you to try with a real device. It is better for people with very large thumbs though.

In addition to that, the Torch has the same screen as the Bold (480x360) but vertical. It also bears a touchscreen that is physically bigger, and is a slide phone. The CPU of the Torch is much better than the one on the recent Bold models.

sa far as my eyes are concerned, I think size does matter so if I had to change device today, I would take the biggest screen, that means the Torch.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: