Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8130 Pearl on Verizon

Confused about Desktop Manager version and source

I have a BB Pearl 8130 from Verizon in US.     According to my desktop program, I am using 4.3.0.17 for the desktop software.   Everytime that I plug my phone in for synchronization, backup, etc., the software tells me that there are all sorts of updates, but that they never seem to load correctly.  For a period of time, I was receiving update notices only for language updates which is interesting to me since I only speak English.

I would like to download the latest version that is compatible with Verizon, but I am not sure what to do.  I have seen some information from Verizon that talks about 4.3, yet I see that the desktop software at this location is already up to 4.6.

I would appreciate if someone can advise me on what the best update is to use.

BTW, as a new user, I don't even know what "Tags" are!

Thanks,

Super Contributor
My Device: 9850 Torch
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Confused about Desktop Manager version and source

Welcome to the forums.

First of all the version of Desktop Manager on your PC and the version of Operating System (OS) you have installed on your BB are 2 different things and do not need be the same.

Do you have the 8130 OS installed on your PC?  If so, the message you're receiving when connecting your BB to your PC may be to upgrade/downgrade the OS.  If the OS on the PC is different then what you have on the BB, you'll get those 'update' messages.

If you find a post here helpful, please consider giving the poster some Kudos
New Contributor
My Device: 8130 Pearl on Verizon

Well this morning I decided to take a gamble and let the upgrade run (I ran a backup yesterday, so I wasn't terribly worried).   It asked me if I wanted to keep the operating system files that were installed as is and in parentheses said "(recommended)" or to update to the older version installed in my desktop.   I went with the recommended choice.  It saw the three third party applications that I have installed, all checked, so I left them alone.  It then proceeded to go through the update and basically changed nothing at all!

So I am still wondering whether the desktop should or needs to be updated.

Still a bit confused.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

I would recommend you to use either version 4.5 or 4.6. Personally I found them much reliable then version 4.3.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit