Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Connected to internet via wifi or vodafone?

How do I tell if I am connecting to the internet via a Vodafone connection (and being charged for the usage) or connected via a free wifi connection? I have a Bold 9700.

Thanks,

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

Re: Connected to internet via wifi or vodafone?

The Blackberry will always use the best connection. If your Wifi logo (top right of the screen) is white you are connected to Wifi (the download arrows will also move much quicker than when connected to a mobile phone network connection). If the Wifi logo is slightly greyed out you have wifi selected on but are not connected so the Blackberry will use the GPRS, EDGE, 3G etc. network.

Marc

New Contributor

Thanks for that Marc, but is there any way of forcing the phone to only connect to wifi? Most of the time I am close to a number of free wifi signals and want to cut down on my internet costs. At least with phone calls I know when I am incurring costs but I don't with the internet.

Many thanks

Carol

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, go to Manage Connections (the icon looks like an aerial) and unselect Mobile Network.

Are you on Vodafone pay as you go? I am sure that all the Blackberry Plans on Vodafone have inclusive data plans which includes unlimited mobile internet and BlackBerry email. If you are on a £35, £40, or £45 per month tariff you will not be charged for mobile internet. Check out the full details on the Vodafone website.

Quote: "For just £35 you get 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited Mobile Internet and webmail."

Marc

New Contributor

Thanks for that. I am on an annual contract with Vodafone, but it is through a buying group. Because the group caters for hundreds of different users they tend to get a very low monthly rental, and then you pay for any extras if you want them. Therefore internet is extra, email is extra, texts are extra and you pay for all phone calls although they are at a very cheap rate.

So it pays to get email through the free wifi connection, but I don't want it changing over to the Vodafone payment scheme unless I know about it.

Am I correct in thinking that once I have unselected Mobile Network my incoming and outgoing phone calls, and the free wifi  will still work?

Many thanks, Carol

New Contributor

No, if you unselect mobile network you will be unable to receive calls. I have tried the following which is the only way that I can see that you would be able to receive calls without receiving data over the mobile phone network but it doesn't work for me which seems to suggest that when you disable 'data' you do it in toto and not just on the mobile phone network. Give it a try, perhaps there is an issue with my handset:

1) Select Manage Connections

2) Select Mobile Network Options

3) Change Data Services to OFF

4) Make sure that Wifi is selected to ON.

As I said, this didn't work for me. The only way I have been able to ensure 100% that you are receiving data over wifi is to turn off the mobile network but then of course you cannot receive calls.

Marc

New Contributor

Hi Marc,

I have the same result, that is no calls with Data Services off and wifi on; but as you said the internet can be accessed 100% by free wifi.

Thanks for your help; as nobody else has offered any other suggestions I assume it cannot be done.

Carol