Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Connecting Bold 9700 (T-Mobile) with the Enterprise Server

I just got Bold 9700 and was able to activate all my private accounts.

However, for work E-mail I need to activate it through the Enterprise Server.

When I followed the instructions of my company's IT Department to go to Settings/Options/Advanced Options but can not find Enterprise Server Access.

Please HELP !!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Connecting Bold 9700 (T-Mobile) with the Enterprise Server

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Typically, when that option is not presented, it is due to your not having an adequate data plan from your carrier to enable it. You must have a BES-level plan from them to use BES...at whatever monthly fee they shall charge, btw. Contact your carrier for assistance.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks. Does that mean that this is not a Blackberry software issue that can "by-pass" the involvement of the carrier (such as to enable the Enterprise option by a BB software/flash upgrade or to enable it through the desktop installation CD that I got with the purchase of Bold 9700.

My only challenge at this point is to find the "work around" as to how to port my work E-mail. I ma already paying a pretty penny to my service provider (T-Mobile) and, as a matter of principal, I do not feel great paying now something extra, as my data plan is already unlimited - hence me being upset to pay extra for the Enterprise access to an already unlimited data plan.

Many thanks for your support

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You wish to use a higher level of service from your carrier. But you do not wish to pay them for delivering that higher service to you. I'm pretty sure that no one here will help you with that...it's called theft.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

why is the Enterprise higher level of service if I pay already for UNLIMITED data. According to my IT department, they say that it is in a way just another E-mail account being ported through the same pipe.

This is like if your landlord would charge you extra for using the bathroom in the house that you already rent.

So, instead of your statement of theft, which does not stand at all, I call this "higher level of service" a rip-off!! 

I hope that you now better understand this point.

Hall of Famer III

And let me see if I can help you understand. Unlimited Internet with BIS is likely what you have. This provides you access to certain services that are proprietary to the consumer-level BB services hosted by your carrier and RIM. For BES, you need access to an even higher level of enterprise-level proprietary BB services that also are hosted by your carrier and RIM. As with all services, one pays for whatever tier they wish to use. So my analogy of theft stands. Besides which, it's all moot -- you signed a contract with your carrier to utilize only the services for which you contracted...and those do not include BES. Hence, theft again.

New Contributor

I see your logic in that, in its liberal market, carriers have a liberty to compartmentalise servised into "tiers" hence charging whatever they want. This also reminds me of the a-la-carte approach of the airline industry nowadays.

However, my previous provider, AT&T does NOT charge separetely for the Enterprise (BES) service once you pay for the piple (in this particularl case BIS service).

Hence, my argument (since it varies by the carirer) why is the same thing in one case a legit use of resources and in other case - a theft?  Hence, my argument about a rip-off by the latter providers...

Again, the data (be it BES or BIS) utilizes the same pipe (which I am religiuosly paying) and it is a data share through that pipe that in my view is relevant and not the "tier" of a business vs. personal content of that data.

Thanks for sharing your piece of mind

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

kokushka59 wrote:

Again, the data (be it BES or BIS) utilizes the same pipe (which I am religiuosly paying) and it is a data share through that pipe that in my view is relevant and not the "tier" of a business vs. personal content of that data.

I agree that the traffic traverses the same data pipe between the HH and the edge of the carrier network. But, for BES, there are different services within the carrier/RIM infrastructure that are exercised for only BES users. For example, BES reconciles calendar and contacts OTA where BIS does not. Further, since in no case, does the HH do any of the "work" to conduct reconciliation (all of that "work" is conducted behind the scenes within the carrier/RIM infrastructure), there is additional infrastructure required for BES to provide these additional services. This is where the assumption of "same pipe" breaks down.

Still regardless, if you want BES, you must subscribe to an adequate data plan from your carrier...and the carriers set the pricing for the services they deliver. Variability among them would be considered part of free market competition.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Many thanks for your explanation. It is clear now.  I also hope that others, who may have also been in doubt regarding this issue, will find this string beneficial, which is indeed the purpose of these forums.

Cheers

Hall of Famer III

kokushka59 wrote:

Many thanks for your explanation. It is clear now.  I also hope that others, who may have also been in doubt regarding this issue, will find this string beneficial, which is indeed the purpose of these forums.

Cheers

My thanks to you as well for being patient with the discussion. You are exactly correct as to the purpose of these forums...kind souls volunteering to try and help out other kind souls to the best of their abilities and hopefully solve a few problems and answer a few question along the way.

Best regards!