Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: P'9982 & Z10
My Carrier: alfa Lebanon

Connecting to BBM stuck at Step 2

Hi,

Whenever I try to connect an app to BBM, it gets stuck on Step 2: Server is unavailable. Unable to proceed with BBM connection. Please try again later.

I tried a battery pull, updated BBM, even my device OS.

Any help would really be appreciated, I don't know what to try more.

Wadi
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Connecting to BBM stuck at Step 2

Hello!!

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you may need to contact your mobile service provider for formal support and to ensure that your data plan is properly configured on their end.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Developer

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I did try them, but I'm still getting stuck when trying to connect an app to BBM.

Do you know which Service Books are used by the whole "connect" process? Anything I can try before asking my operator for support? (I hate their support, useless most of the cases)
Wadi
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

wantoun wrote:

I did try them, but I'm still getting stuck when trying to connect an app to BBM.

"them"...hmmm...I am wondering if you already had attempted the steps I recommended or if, by "them", you mean your carrier...I cannot tell for sure. If you mean that you already tried the steps I recommended, then let's hold off now and let you tell us what else you've already tried, and exactly how each thing you attempted went. For instance, there should be specific results from each of the steps I suggested above...what were your specific results of each step? As in, when you request the HRT to be sent, you should have received an "Activation" message to your BB...did you? Similar for the Service Books...

Let us know.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Developer

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the confusion. By 'them' I mean the steps you suggested.
I got the activation message, I also got the messages that my new email has been registered for each email I had configured when I requested the service books to be sent.

All in all I have tried so far: a battery pull, updated BBM, deleted some service books and requested a resend, registered Host Routing Table, and even updated my device OS.

I contacted my operator today, but I'm not holding my breathe about it!
If you have anything else in mind that might work, I would really really appreciate it!!

Wadi
Hall of Famer III

wantoun wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. By 'them' I mean the steps you suggested.
I got the activation message, I also got the messages that my new email has been registered for each email I had configured when I requested the service books to be sent.

OK, thanks...those are the results that should come from each step I recommended, so that's not the problem here.

wantoun wrote:

All in all I have tried so far: a battery pull, updated BBM, deleted some service books and requested a resend, registered Host Routing Table, and even updated my device OS.

Several of those are within the steps I recommended, although perhaps not in the same order, but probably no matter.

What about other data-using services? Web Browsing? Email? Etc? Are these all working? And, be sure, if you use it, to have WiFi turned off so as to properly test that all of your services are functioning correctly over your carrier data network.

wantoun wrote:

I contacted my operator today, but I'm not holding my breathe about it!

Sadly, I fear this is where this will have to be resolved...they are responsible for, in return for you paying them each month, delivering to you all of your services and providing you with all of your formal support. They can escalate into RIM for cases that they cannot resolve, at no cost to the end user. But you must go through your formal support channel to receive any formal support from RIM.

One other question...is this a new behavior? Did all work fine before and has this now changed? Or has it always been like this?

Another question -- is your BB part of a BES environment? If so, is your BES admin restricting access to BBM?

Let us know.

Developer

wrote:

What about other data-using services? Web Browsing? Email? Etc? Are these all working? And, be sure, if you use it, to have WiFi turned off so as to properly test that all of your services are functioning correctly over your carrier data network.

Everything that requires a working internet connection is functional, browsing, email, BBM, other apps.

I tested with wifi, also with 3G and EDGE - wifi off (just in case).

wrote:

One other question...is this a new behavior? Did all work fine before and has this now changed? Or has it always been like this?

This is a new behaviour, I can't really pin point it but I'd say a week or so. I had a lot of connected apps before.

wrote:

Another question -- is your BB part of a BES environment? If so, is your BES admin restricting access to BBM?

I'm on BIS, not BES.

Thank again Smiley Happy

Wadi
Hall of Famer III

Well, that pretty much eliminates everything that can be figured. If there were a way to recall what was going on just before this started, it might give further hints. What that might mean is that your carrier/RIM (via escalation) may be needed to figure this out.

If you want to proceed without them, the next step would be an on-device WIPE and see if things start working again. Failing that, a wipe/Reload of the OS (using a utility like BBSAK) would be next, with loading of add-ons going very slow and testing all functionality as you add things in the reload process. Very tedious, to be sure...but I think we've ruled out everything that could be locally causal and reversible.

Oh wait...one last guess...do you have anything blocked in your on-device Firewall?

Developer

Nope, nothing blocked by a firewall.

I'm trying it out with my operator now. I hope it helps, if not, then I'll resort to what you said above.

Thanks again for all your help Smiley Happy
Wadi
Highlighted
Developer

As an update to this thread, in case someone else is having this problem.

Everytime I install an app and I face this problem, I wipe my device and try again. It works for a couple of apps and then I have to repeat and wipe again. Still no clue as to why it's happening, but wiping my device seems to let it work for a while.

My operator support was just as useless as I expected.

Wadi