Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8310

Contact Management options

Anybody have thoughts on Contact management options?

I use Yahoo for my business and contacts but as far as I researched it dosen't sync up with BB except for Yahoo Messenger. I don't use MS outlook as I try to stay frugal in my biz.

Anybody have any freeware options or recommendations of best CM options?

The pay ones I see that sync well with BB are: ACT, Goldmine, Outlook, Mac

The free ones would be: Plaxo (which doesn't sync well with Yahoo as I see it), ?

Does anybody have a CM solution that is: freeware or cheep, web enabled, able to port easily to new devices (like my BB), can customize (like Yahoo Contacts)?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Contact Management options

Based on the supported organizers Desktop Manager looks like it works with the Yahoo PIM:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot3.jsp

Organizer Support
  • Lotus Notes® 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
  • MS Outlook® 2002, 2003, 2007
  • MS Outlook Express 6, Windows Contacts (Vista Address Book)
  • Novell® GroupWise® 6.5, 7.0
  • Yahoo!® PIM

Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

Install Yahoo!Go via m.yahoo.com through the device Browser

Yahoo!Go has the option to Sync Contacts with the Mailbox.

New Contributor
My Device: 8310

Thank you for the replies (BTW this is a good forum IMHO).  Unfortunately BB 'works' with Yahoo PIM but I have to log into Yahoo Go to get to my contacts which is only their email Addresses. Very limited.  Also, this is really a Yahoo issue and they have poor documentation regarding sync up.  They just say to install Yahoo GO on my BB. I did that - no contact management.

http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/blackberry

I was hoping that I could find a solution to sync my BB contact info with some PC based program. Similar to what the Palm had where I can enter and alter info on my desktop and sync up with the BB. Any ideas? (Besides MS outlook - and remember I am a single PC in my Biz).  I am thinking I will have to commit to a Contact Management Software package (Outlook, Act, Goldmine, Etc).

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

I think the best option would be to invest in supported organizer like Outlook as the Desktop Manager works best with that.
Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

If cost is a concern then surely Outlook Express will suffice for your needs, as the Syncing with the Desktop Manager licenses Intellisync for the Sync functionality, Outlook Express is supported with this.

I how I do it on my BIS device is keep a backup in Express and upload to my Personal Domain Addressbook hosted at the ISP, it works very much the same way as the Freemail services with supported export formats.

I do agree however with JeremyKitching...you will need to go the supported route when it comes to an organizer....