Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: ATT

Contact Sync went Gray

All of a sudden the Contact sync on my desktop software (7.1) went gray and unavailable.  I have a 9300 without an enterprise connection, just a simple Outlook 2010 desktop installation.  There is a lot ot talk about Wireless sync, but I don't have that option available on my BB.  I have been syncing contacts for a long time (the old fashion way) and it just became unavailable.  Please help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Contact Sync went Gray

Hello,

freeworld wrote:

There is a lot ot talk about Wireless sync, but I don't have that option available on my BB.

Just to be sure, please check:

• KB22430 How to enable or disable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

and ensure that, in all places (there should be two), wireless contact sync is disabled. The symptom you describe is normally caused by one or both of those wireless sync options being enabled on the BB.

If all is well, then all I can do is suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Sadly that didn't work.  Whether the Sync Contact box on the BB is checked or not seems to be irrelevant.  Either way, the Contact Options don't allow a wireless option (which I've never had).  And when the Sync Contact box is checked, when I connect to the PC, Contacts are still "not available" on the Organizer Sync screen, and then a look back at the BB shows the Sync Contact box has been unchecked.

I hate to think I have to start over.  Desktop 7.1 has caused so much heartache already (calendar, contacts, everything) since I foolishly upgraded to it based on a BB email ad. :-(

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Wait...you keep saying "Sync Contact Box" in the singular. As I said above, there are two places you need to check on your BB for this...both locations are properly documented in the KB. So I'm not at all sure which you are referring to in your message...

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Another interesting observation has to do with Restore possibilities.  When I look at my backups, the most recent backup does not list an Address Book.  It does have something called "Recent Contacts", but I don't think that's the same thing.

And when I look at previous backups (that took place before my contact sync became unavailable) the "Address Book - All" is grayed out.

What's going on with this?

Thanks.

Contributor

One place is in the "Sync Options" for the mailbox, and the other is in the Options menu for the Contacts.  Are those the two?

Contributor

What about typing rset while in Contacts/Options to wipe just the Contacts?  What confidence level do you have that that might solve the problem and then let me put all my contacts from my PC back on the BB?  (after all, I don't want to wipe them and then be stuck).

Hall of Famer III

freeworld wrote:

One place is in the "Sync Options" for the mailbox, and the other is in the Options menu for the Contacts.  Are those the two?

Yes.

Hall of Famer III

freeworld wrote:

Another interesting observation has to do with Restore possibilities.  When I look at my backups, the most recent backup does not list an Address Book.  It does have something called "Recent Contacts", but I don't think that's the same thing.

And when I look at previous backups (that took place before my contact sync became unavailable) the "Address Book - All" is grayed out.

What's going on with this?

Thanks.

That's what we're trying to figure out, isn't it?

Hall of Famer III

freeworld wrote:

What about typing rset while in Contacts/Options to wipe just the Contacts?  What confidence level do you have that that might solve the problem and then let me put all my contacts from my PC back on the BB?  (after all, I don't want to wipe them and then be stuck).

I have no way to predict the result. But, if I had to guess, it would not help. All that will do is clear the Contacts database contents...it won't do anything about the configuration of your contacts as far as synching I think. Then again, I can know nothing 100%.

Where are your "master" contacts? If in Outlook, then you at least have them safe (hopefully you are also backing those up on a regular basis...).