Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Corrupted backup files

Let me ask... you are testing all this, or in imminent need of a backup to restore?

You may just want to uninstall DS7.0 from your PC, and install the latest v6.2

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300

Ok, here's the background to my problem. A few weeks ago when my original Blackberry was less than 2 months old the trackpad became stuck in the up position and needed to be sent off to be repaired. Before sending it off I made my first backup (and I foolishly believed the "backup completed successfully" message and thought everything was OK). To cut a long story short, the phone couldn't be repaired so I was sent a replacement but when I tried to restore from the backup I was greeted with the dreaded "backup file corrupted" message and I've had to spend a lot of time manually rebuilding my contacts, calendar entries, notes, etc.

I don't look forward to the prospect of having to go through all this again if the phone happend to break again sometime in the future. So, I'm now trying to resolve the issue of the corrupted backups in the hope that I can get at least one good restorable file to use in future (just in case!).

You've mentioned uninstalling DS7.0 and installing version 6.2 - would you know where I could get hold of a copy of v6.2 for me to try?

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

One other thing to check is to try cleaning your registry with something like Registry Mechanic (some Internet Security programs also come with registry cleaners). It is possible that you have a bad entry in your computer's registry which is interfering with the backup. I was hoping that uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop software would be sufficient, but apparently not.

Given that this issue has remained after swapping out devices, it isn't a device specific issue, but rather a computer issue. So that's where we need to start. You might even want to check your computer for viruses or Trojans as these types of malware can rewrite the registry creating all sorts of weird issues.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!