Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Country and provider change

Hi all,

I have been a bb fan since I started to use my curve in US. However, then I moved to netherlands to work and I could not use my curve here due to the problems of transfering my phone to the provider (I was using t-mobile in US, and even T-mobile netherlands could not do it). Because of my bb love, I decided to buy a new 8900 here and asked several mobile providers (actually all of them) that If i buy a new bb in netherlands whether I can use it in another country or not. They told me that I will not be able to use bb in another country.

I have been hearing this issue from many people as well. What i want to learn officially is "can i use my bb that I will buy in netherlands, in another country with e-mail services?". Because of my job I may move to another country in couple of months and as a consumer and bb lover, I want to use my bb in every country that i move without buying a new one in each country. I know that transferring the registration may be possible, but in reality it is impossible!. 

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Evren

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Country and provider change

Yes you can.

it is really  not an isse of using it in another country, that has nothing to do with it, but rather the device must be unlocked to use on a carrier to which it is not branded.

BlackBerrys are sold as "locked" to one carrier.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_unlock_my_BlackBerry%3F

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Country and provider change

hello,

JSanders replied. His answer is about you being able to use your device on another carrier than the one you bought your device from.

there are two other points you need to understand:

1)
your device uses some radio frequencies. They are commonly referred as GSM/EDGE US, GSM/EDGE Europe, 3G, CDMA.
depending on your device, you can use some frequencies and not others.
for example with a 8300 you cannot use the Verizon network or the Sprint network, but you can use T-Mobile, AT&T, or European carriers, because it contains all GSM/EDGE..

the Storm 9530 will have 3G, but not usable on AT&T, where it will be retrained to GSM/EDGE.

Check at your carriers what are the frequency they use (the easiest way is to see what BlackBerry models they sell, and look on the BlackBerry.com website what are the frequencies the device can bear).

2)
If you want to use your device for more than just phone and SMS, you need to subscribe a BlackBerry Data Plan with your carrier. That is possible as soon as the carrier sells at least one BlackBerry device. Depending on the carrier, the BlackBerry Data Plan is more expensive than a regular phone data plan (that's the case for Vodafone).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: