Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Crackling base on newer songs

I put some music files and ring tones on my new Bold and I've noticed that the older ones sound fine, but with some songs recorded within the last 4 yrs or so (e.g. Natasha Bedingfield, Taylor Swift) the base crackles—bad.  It really ruins the listening experience.

Is this a copyright feature, a modern production enhancement, or what?  Is there a sampling rate I need to use when ripping music from my CDs to copy onto mobile devices that will prevent this issue?

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Crackling base on newer songs

Try adding the songs through Blackberry Desktop Manager, when you transfer the files you have the chance to adjust the file for better sound.
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Re: Crackling bass on newer songs—solution found!

Actually, I was doing that to begin with.

I also tried phoning BlackBerry Tech Support through my carrier (Rogers) and all they could offer was that the device wasn't designed primarily for playing music files and therefore, this was a technical limitation.  The woman I spoke to said that she had the same trouble.

Then I looked up all the audio formats the Bold is supposed to support and tried ripping the same song (one that cracked really bad) repeatedly in the different formats.  I use a program called Easy CD-DA Extractor by Poikosoft in the professional version (I liked the program so much, I bought it and all the codecs) to rip CDs.

I tried .wma (wouldn't play), .3gp (didn't even recognize the file).

Then I tried .aac and not only did it play, but there wasn't a single crack!  It sounds fantastic!  So by determined experimentation, I finally found the solution!

The file is CD-quality and compared to the same song in a CD-quality mp3 file, it's 33% smaller (3.08 MB for the .aac, 4.62 MB for the mp3).

So there you go folks—if your music distorts on your Bold, rip and transfer it in .aac format.  It really works and it saves space too! Smiley Happy