Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Creating folders on BB Curve 8320

Can anyone explain to me what creating a folder and placing it on my home screen would do?  I tested it out and thought maybe I could move or copy photos or other media that I have on the phone to the folder as a means of a shortcut or just so I could access things easier without going through a few menus.  However I don't seem to be able to do anything with the folder after I create it, when I open the folder it has some strange icon inside that is light blue in color with a "+" sign on the lower right hand corner of the folder.  The only thing I seem to be able to do is delete the folder that I created cause nothing else seems to happen.  I thought this would be an obvious thing but apparently it's not for me lol.  Anyone fill me in?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS

Re: Creating folders on BB Curve 8320

Far as I know a folder is just used to store apps or games or anything you want so you don't have them junking up your home screen. I use one for games so they are all in one place and one that I call "extras" where I put things like the email setup icon and medianet and all the "shop" icons, just so they are around when I need them but not taking up all kinds of space on my homescreen.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
My Device: Not Specified

Ah, so if I want to see pics then I need to actually point my lazy ass to the media folder then huh?  OK thanks.Smiley Happy  This is just another thing that kinda defeats the purpose of creating folders (BB seems to miss things here and there when it comes to how their software works).

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

As far as folders for media, you can create those on your media card. On the home screen I use mine for hidden Icons and like Lorriem for all the email setups. I do not have a + sign on my blue folder, but when I open it I do get a green arrow on the folder icon and it says up on the bottom. As in move up to the home screen. Could this be the + sign you're seeing. As my name implies..These icons are SMALL Smiley Happy
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

The home screen icons are not a place for storage... think "start up menu like in Windows". From your home screen, you can only click on Blackberry applications : SMS/MMS, messages, Browser... Creating a menu allows you to tidy a bit. For example put in a folder al the applications you never launch. The way I use it : I create a folder, and put everything into it except the Media icon and the "Manage Connections" icon. As i use the Dimention Zen theme, on my home screen I have few clutter.

That being said, the SDcard can be seen as a USB drive : you can put stuff in it (videos, audio, pictures).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: