Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Cursor Jumping around randomly

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I've had my new Bold 9780 since the end of Feb and I've noticed that during the evenings the cursor seems to have a mind of its own and when typing txt's or e-mails the cursor will move about around the screen as I type and I end up typing in the wrong places, which is starting to get a bit tiring. If i sit my device on the desk and just watch it you can see the cursor move around the menu items now and again without even touching it Smiley Sad I've seen other posts about for this but not actually seen a solution. I'm starting to think the device is faulty but wanted to check before I try and find out how to contact RIM about it. My version info is: 6.0 Bundle 1879 (v6.0.0.448, Platform 6.5.0.136) Hope someone can help Smiley Happy Regards Al
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Cursor Jumping around randomly

OS 6.0.0.448 is stable, so it sounds like a job for the famous battery pull!

With your phone powered on, remove the battery then replace it a few seconds later.

Let us know if that does the trick.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy I performed a battery pull today but again tonight its doing exactly the same thing Smiley Sad
Elite II

Okay, try reloading your OS.

Plug your phone in via USB, open Desktop Manager, click Device>Update Device. When the prompt says that no update is available, click Show Previous Versions, check the one on top of the list and reload.

Let us know if that helps. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I am experiencing the same problem. 

I just got the 9780 as a replacement for my two year old 8520. I spent about 6 months researching the phone and its reviews - sadly I never saw this bug come up until after the new phone showed up yesterday.

I have read over this thread, as well as other forums and it seems to be an ongoing issues for a lot of users. I too am beginning if I should send it back and explore other options. I really don't want to because I like everything else about his phone, but I need something reliable... and this bug is VERY frustrating! Very!

if there is anything I can do to help - please let me know.

New Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for delay I've been away.

I tried reloading the software as you advised but this does not seem to have made any difference it still jumps around in the evening and is a real pain now as its making it take twice as long just to send a txt as it keep jumping around (

Any other ideas?

New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Same result here Doc77, minues the slower performace. It runs the same as it did before but with no correction to the cursor. I'm guessing that something withing the trackpad is triggering the movement... considering how it's light/dark specific. 

I'll just sit with it and it will slowly bump up and up until it reaches the top of a page. Then obviosuly stop becasue it has nowhere to go. I really hope there is a fix for this!

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9780
My Carrier: DU

Hi .. did anyone get any fix for this problem .. i went to teh shop i bought but he simply reduced teh sensitivity of th etrack pad to 40 , but even then it happend. But i did show him a video clip i took while it happned ... but still he says no problem ..

any idea .. its frustrating after spending so much of money !!!!!?????????

please keep the post alive and update for any fix available

Elite II

Just a reminder to anyone who's having problems with their phone and is unable to get it corrected by their carrier, your carrier is responsible for fixing the problem no matter what.  They have a contract with RIM that says they will provide front-line support for your phone.  If they are unable to fix the problem, you can request to have the problem escalated to RIM at no cost to you.  RIM is in the business of designing the phones but they contract the support end to the carriers.

Don't live with a problem phone, demand that your carrier hold up their end of the contract with RIM. 

I think I should have been a lawyer.  Smiley Happy

My Device: Bold / BlackBerry 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a new BlackBerry Bold and the cursor has been randomly jumping around.  I've been working with our tech support department and have replaced the BlackBerry once.  With both BBs I have had, the tech support dept has not been able to duplicate the problem, and in one instance they've looked over my shoulder as I was typing and they have seen the random jumping.  At first we were puzzled - why does it happen when I type but not when they type???

After some more experimentation, I have figured out that if you put your fingers anywhere near the side of the screen, it induces random cursor jumps.  I had a way of holding the BlackBerry that placed my middle and ring finger on one hand next to the screen, thus allowing me to type with my index finger.  I don't like typing with my thumbs.  But for some reason, having those fingers next to the screen is coupling into the screen and causing the random cursor jumps.  When I hold the BB from behind and use two thumbs to type, I get almost no cursor jumping.  That is how the tech support guys hold the BB when they type.