Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8320 firmware upgrade problem !!!!

I've recently bought curve 8320 (mobilink pakistan). i wanted to upgrade the firmware on it but it seems that i am unable to. i've downloaded destop manager 4.3 (even have downloaded 4.5) and i've installed the 380 firmware exe file. 

the problem is that whatever i do it just does not upgrade (i've installed desktop manager, installed exe file but nothing)

am i doing something wrong? am i missing a step? (have even tried deleting vendor.xml file but to no avail)

some one please help me with this?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Curve 8320 firmware upgrade problem !!!!

What OS version is on your BlackBerry now? If its the same version there is nothing to upgrade.
New Contributor

4.2.2.184 platform 2.5.0.40 i am assuming that 4.2.2.380 is the latest (even though what i've seen is that there's some 4.5 out there) thanks for you help so far mate cheers
New Contributor

still waiting for a reply Smiley Sad anyone? someone?

Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

Well you don't actually tell us what you are upgrading from or to, nor how you are trying to do it. Here's how it works, so check this and see if that's what you did.

We'll assume you're upgrading to os 4.5.5.52 as that's now officially available. Firstly you must install Desktop Manager 4.5. As I already had Roxio Media Manager already installed I intiially opted to install a smaller version without RMM, but this just wouldn't install proerly so in the end I went for the 192mb Desktop Manager 4.5.0 B16 English - With Media Manager. Once this is installed I used it to back up my Blackberry Curve 8320 and then disconnected it and shut down DM.

Next you need to download and install onto the pc BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.75 (Multilanguage). Once the install onto the pc is finished just plug the phone back into the computer, open Desktop Manager v4.5 and it should ask if you want to upgrade the os. It also gives you a list of what it’s going to install. If you want Docs To Go, which will allow you to open and view (and also to edit the documents if you upgrade to a higher version) Excel, Word and Power Point files you need to manually select this as it’s one application (and a big one at 2mb) that doesn’t automatically load. During the upgrade it checks and upgrades other applications too, and overall the whole process takes about an hour or so.

If you've done all of this and it hasn't worked then you need to talk to your carrier's suport team I reckon. That's assuming you're using their official software, if not you might need to stay with the current firmware a bit longer.

Steve.

Take care,

Steve.
New Contributor

my bad. i was upgrading (or trying to) from 4.2.2.184 to 4.2.2.380. But i guess now i will opt for 4.5 upgrade.

will get on it right away and will "report back"

thanks

Contributor

Ahh, in which case I think that you've been getting the actual os version mixed up with the package version that contains it, so you may have been trying to re-install the same software. In my last post I pointed you to  BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.75 - that's the software package which contains the 4.5.5.52 operating software. I may be wrong but I reckon that BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.380 was the package that contained the operating software 4.2.2.184. Somebody will probably confirm or deny this, but that's my take on it. Good luck with 4.5.

Steve. 

Take care,

Steve.
New Contributor

ok so should i go for 4.5 upgrade? b.t.w what's new in 4.5? anything significant. i am actually upgrading for the sake of it hehe but still would like to know the additions thanks though for the help. RIGHT now i am downloading the 4.5. f/w.
Contributor

Yeah, go for it and you'll have video recording, html e-mail, Docs To Go and the ability to watch You Tube on the 8320.

Steve. 

Take care,

Steve.
New Contributor

wwoohhooo got the upgrade installed. went like a breeze. had to delete the "vendor" file.

thanks guys for the help.

NEXT step .. find free software for my BB.

suggestions?