Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8320 - which Desktop & SIM Question

My Blackberry Curve 8320 will arrive Tuesday and I thought I'd get a head start, but ...

1) I see there are several versions of Blackberry Desktop available for download.  Which one do you recommend? Is there any version I should avoid becaused of problems?

2) I now have a Palm Treo 680 ... if I transfer all my contacts to the SIM card and put that SIM card in my Curve, will the contacts show up?

I suppose importing the contacts from the Palm Desktop to Blackberry Desktop will probably be easier but I've never done this and want to avoid the usual frustration that goes with this sort of thing.  I have a PC so if I can figure out how to do it, I imagine it will work better than using the SIM method?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give a newbie!

Jagergwen

Solutions: 6,347
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve 8320 - which Desktop & SIM Question

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums, and weelcome to the BB world!

1. Get DM 4.6--withOUT Media Manager.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

2. In Desktop Manager there is a Switch Device Wizard that works with moving from a Treo to the BB. Use it.

If not, I recently exported the Treo contacts to a TAB delimited file > imported that to Outlook > then synced Outlook to the BB. Seamless.

Meanwhile, while waiting, my best advice will be to spend some time cleaning up your Palm contact list--duplicates, bad formatting, etc.

The SIM method is THE least effective because SIMs can only hold numbers, and one per contact. So a contact with 2-5 phone numbers will be listed that many times in the SIM--and no emails, addresses, etc. Use one of the two methods I recommended above.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JS ... thanks!  Now ... one thing I didn't mention in my original question:  I do NOT use Outlook for my email and right now my Treo doesn't have any email addresses in there because I don't have a data plan for that phone.  So, when it comes to email addresses, I'll just have to put them in one by one on my BB or put them in BB Desktop and then sync to the BB ... right?

There's more ... and this is going to sound REAL stupid:  since I don't use Outlook (and won't), am I even going to be able to get email on my Curve? I have my own domain ... can get my email over the web or download to my PC in Eudora.  So, I guess that's called a POP account?  I just keep hearing everyone mention Outlook as if I won't get my email if I don't sync everything with Outlook.

Thanks ..

Jagergwen 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

If you can get your contacts into a .cvs file you can import them into a Gmail account, and then using Google Mobile sync you can get them on the BB.

An example:

http://oreilly.com/pub/h/2735

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-29-2008 12:22 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bifocals, thanks!  Okay, I read the link you provided and believe even I can do that.  Smiley Happy

That would get my contacts into the BB ... now, I don't have a Gmail account but I suppose I can get one just to do the importing.  But ... I don't want to GET my email with a Gmail account. Does all this mean that my BB won't be able to download email from my current email address? 

Okay, I just read the above paragragh and even I got confused!  Say I have my own domain (blobgook.com) and my email address is:  jagergwen@blobgook.com

Right now I download my email with Eudora to my PC or I can go to blobgook.com/webmail  and get it there.   Am I also going to be able to get that email on my BB?

Thanks!

Jagergwen

Message Edited by Jagergwen on 09-28-2008 10:11 PM
Solutions: 6,347
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Jagergwen wrote:

Right now I download my email with Eudora to my PC or I can go to blobgook.com/webmail  and get it there.   Am I also going to be able to get that email on my BB?

Message Edited by Jagergwen on 09-28-2008 10:11 PM

Absolutely, you will be able to. On your BB > personal email setup, you will enter your email address and password that you use to access the account on your webmail. That is all that is needed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

The Gmail account is free, you don't have to use it for email, just open the account, sync your contacts to the account, then to the BB

via Google sync. I think you do have to setup the Gmail account on the BB, but you don't have to use it for Email.

You can setup multiple email address's on the BB.

You will be able to setup your regular email account,on the BB and use it exclusively if you like.

Your email will go to your PC and the BB. I cannot speak for your particular webmail site, but I can access mine at Comcast through the BB browser just fine. As long as there are no scripts on the website that are incompatible with the BB browser (Flash, Shockware, etc)

You can test it right now with your browser just type in the website address and login.

Two things:

1.  (I would edit your message and remove the email address if it is yours, for security reasons)

2.   You were right, that was a heck of a paragraph Smiley Happy

I think that answers all your questions!

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star. 

Just check the post that had your answer! 

Thanks 

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter