Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Curve 8330 NO GPS

I've tried 4 different apps in an attempt to get GPS to work, but nothing is working. It can't acquire a satellite fix - i've tried it indoors and out, in the middle of a field, sunny days etc.

What's up? I was promised GPS with this phone, and was the reason I purchased it. If it doesn't work, then I'll return it and get an iPhone instead.

New Contributor

Re: Curve 8330 NO GPS

I was askingthis very question at uscellular today. what they told me is that in Chicago it works great and other bigger cities..I am in Milwaukee and they said this area has little to no connectivity with the Blackberry Sat.

lame

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

WelcSmiley Happyme to the FSmiley Happyrums! 

If you have verizon, they have their GPS locked - wanting you to get their VZ navigator.  Crazy.

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

no unfortunately I'm in Canada (MTS). I heard about Verizon locking it but I'm not sure if MTS does. They don't have a GPS package to purchase so I don't know why they would - they told me it had GPS when I bought it.

I am using the CDMA version, but no one seems to know why it doesn't work for so many people. I don't know why it would matter what city you are in considering Blackberry doesn't own their own GPS network, GPS is worldwide. I tried upgrading the O/S to 4.5.0.89 and that didn't help (figured that might have unlocked it if GPS was disabled but nope).

There doesn't seem to be a way to diagnose it right on the phone as there's no "Refresh" option in Advanced->GPS settings like some have suggested (apparently it shows the number of satellites connected and signal strength?).

New Contributor

Found someone at MTS who knows what they're talking about, and apparently it's disabled because Blackberry requires additional hardware to make the GPS work (that they don't have). Now, AFAK that should mean the 8330 doesn't have true GPS, which should require no network hardware! Guess I'm moving to the iPhone.
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Thanks for the update.

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

You need to downgrade software to the 1st one. I updated to the new version and my gps would not work. Alltel told me it was because I have to subscribe to telenav to unlock the gps feature. I did a downgrade and everything works perfect. Please try and let me know if it worked.  Rob

New Contributor

I just got off the phone with a supervisor in BB tech support at US Cellular... she told me that the RIM is working out a fix of the software as a result of a 'speaker phone' issue with the 8330's.  She also said that it should be another 3 to 4 weeks before it's working again.  Hope that helps.

New Contributor

I just purchased a new 8330m Curve from US Cellular this past weekend. My GPS was not working, with BB Maps, Google Maps, or amAze, so last night, I called USCC Tech Support. We did a PRL update, and that got the GPS to acquire satellites, but the display showed only 1X, and I'm in a solid 3G area. I know this from my previous Windows PPC-based smartphone. They transferred me to DTS (Data Techncal Services). After fiddling around and performing a hard reset, I finally once again saw 1XEV.

This morning, I open BB Maps and it says that it cannot get satellite lock. I tried a hard reset, but no joy. There is a post over on CrackBerry that describes this phenomenon and details a fix, but the fix requires use of QPST and knowledge of your SPC code.

Here's the link to the procedure...

HeartlessHero's GPS Fix 

I was hoping that someone else might have been aware of another way around this. US Cellular DTS did not mention anything about a problem involving the 'speaker phone' and GPS last night.

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with the new US Cellular 8330m that I just got. I got satellite lock once (6 satellites) while working with USCC Tech Support, but since then, it's been no joy. The last thing DTS wanted me to do was to remove BB Maps and reinstall, but I don't think that will fix anything because the problem also happens with Google Maps and amAze. There's a post by TheHeartlessHero over on CrackBerry dot com with a possible fix, but it's pretty involved. http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/real-fix-broken-gps-guide-v1-0-a-192999/ HTH.