Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve 8330 keyboard not working!!

Are you sure you have an 8330? The Sprint version.of the curve is.the 8330. As far as the problem, how long was the battery out for when you pulled it?
New Contributor

definitely an 8330 - took it to retailer today they will replace it Next Friday under warranty - I still have a gut feel it is some sort combination of keys that turned off the functioning but after 4 hours on internet and noone at store could help then maybe its just a quick - Its my 3rd crackberry.  I went through two UT Starcomm pocket Pcs as well.
New Contributor

I've had this same issue with my 8330. In fact, this is my 3rd 8330 in 3 months, and all 3 (as of this morning) have had this issue where the keys no longer work. I've spent countless hours on the phone with both Sprint and Blackberry, nobody is able to help. They broke down and basically issued me a new phone last time, and it worked for about a month, and now I'm back to a dead phone. It is the most frustrating thing in the world, I've never dropped the phone, never downloaded anything, literally just check email, browse and make calls. The phone worked fine last night, and this morning it's dead, with no recourse. 

I've tried reloading the OS, backing it up, installing the new one, getting updates, to no avail.

I'm just about ready to give up on this crap. 

New Contributor

They swapped me out a new one buttook a week.  Of course RIM is actually a customer of mine and theytake 3 months to pay LOL.  so a week not so bad. However as I sync both at home and at work I am still having that **bleep** issue at work - cant find table error when setting up synch - didnthave that on 8730 only on curve - its a known problem but solution has not worked - sperate foum for that

Hate to dig up a old thread, but this was Google's first result when searching for "Blackberry 8330 keyboard not working". I had *exactly* the same issue the original poster reported. No water damage, no abuse, 8330 working completely fine one minute, and the next minute, all keys and buttons were inoperative.

To me, this had every indication of a software problem, not something physically wrong with the unit. And the fact that pulling the battery out for a reset did not solve the issue seemed to indicate that perhaps a capacitor inside the unit was keeping the "bug" alive even when the battery was temporarily out.

So I left the battery out overnight (>10 hours), which should have been long enough for the capacitor to drain, and this morning everything seems to be back to normal. If that changes, I'll post again. But otherwise, my advice is to leave the battery out overnight and see if that helps. Good luck!
Contributor

I had this problem with my first 8330, and, after nothing seemed to help, I had to have it replaced at the Verizon store.  I didn't try leaving the battery, but everything that RIM and Verizon suggested didn't help.

My new phone is doing this same exact thing.  However, I've found that if I plug the phone in, it fixes the problem immediately.  I can't remember if I tried this with my first phone, but it seems to be working for this one.

I just had the same exact thing happen to my 8330.  Now it keeps acting like the #* buttons are being pressed.  It is erratic, at times non of the keys work including the thumb ball, other times a few keys work and it has garbage showing up too.

Just tried hitting it in the palm of my hand, which seems to have 'fixed' it for the moment.

And I thought I broke mine somehow.  It did the exact same thing.  No keys worked.  The trackball would scroll up and down but I could not press it inwards and select anything.  I called Sprint and have my new phone thanks to Asurion's speedy delivery <next day air>.  The keys would not work at all, then hours later start pressing numbers on their own.  I did a handheld wipe once on it and this didn't fix it.  The only possible way it could have broken from me was from my wet thumb. 

My keyboard is completely dead.  The phone goes to sleep and appears off, but if you plug it in the charger you get the screen saver for a couple seconds and then it goes back to sleep mode.  Calls try to come in, but you can not answer them because no buttons work.  I believe it happened from the humidity of being in my bike shirt jersey pocket during a 2.5hr mountain bike ride.  The phone was fine when I started, but keyboard dead when I got done.  Someone on this thread mentioned using his wet thumb on the track ball, that may have actually caused it.

I have found another thread by a cyclist who said his keyboard died the same way as mine. 

I have had this problem previously with a unresponsive keyboard.  Phone was working great, plugged it in the night to charge, woke up in the morning and phone did not work.  Calls would come in and couldn't be answered.  Track ball would roll but couldn't select anything.  Pretty much all the same jargon mentioned above.  Alltel replaced the phone for me with no charge but I was out of all contacts and e-mail for a week while I awaited a replacement.  I have just experience the problem again after a long walk with my BB in my pocket.  I came home and it wouldn't work, but during my stroll I managed to check e-mails and surf the web a bit.  I plugged the phone in and it showed all of the same issues.  Unhooked the battery and still the same issues prevailed.  After letting the phone sit for about 15 min in a cool dry environment it magically started working again.  I have no idea what would cause this but it might have something to do with humidity and moisture mentioned previously.