Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 8900 Curve
My Carrier: O2

Re: Curve 8330 keyboard not working!!

Same problem here.  I am in the UK and have a Curve 8900.  The stupid bloody thing just randomly stopped working on Tuesday night.  I could see that a bbm had come through but the screen went black and the red light just kept flashing.  As the battery was really low, I figured that was the problem so plugged it in to charge and....all hell broke loose!  Since then, I can see there are texts and bbms and missed calls, but I can't get to any of them.  I've left the battery out for hours at a time and when I put it back, it takes ages to come to life, I can see my main screen to start with but can't use the tracker ball or any keys to navigate around and then it goes blank again.  But it's still on because if I ring it from another phone, it rings, although I can't accept or decline the call of course.  A friend suggested I delete the software then reinstall and I downloaded all the necessary, but I'm reluctant to do it in case I mess it up and forgo any chance of a replacement - what do you think?  I paid for this one in full - my original bberry in January was an upgrade but I lost it at a drunken party a few weeks later and didn't have insurance so now I take extremely good care of this one!  So no, it hasn't got wet or damaged in any way.  I am a single mum to a 2-year-old who is at nursery while I work so I can't be without a means of contact, what should I do???  Advice needed urgently, thank you!

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

katyd79 wrote:

Same problem here.

Not the same. This is primarily about moisture issues and drying out a device.

Has your been wet or in a moist location, even a bathroom counter during a shower?

I suspect your 8900 issue is more software related.

Do this:

If your BlackBerry stays powered off with a black screen, follow the instructions below. The only indication of life might be the blinking red LED light in the top corner. Nothing seems to wake it up and Desktop Manager doesn't recognize any device is connected.

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Congrats! Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

jaydmclean wrote:

Silica Gel is used to control moisture.

If you are really hardcore or want a more elegant container then a zip-lock bag, you could actually purchase a small cigar humidor and place it on your nightstand. This nice wooden box would certainly look better then the zip-lock, and would do a much better job.

Another place where you will commonly find silica gel is mixed into cat litter.

Plain white rice, much more common in the typical household, works just as well.

It may not have that good swarthy bourbon flavor, but it works.  Smiley Wink

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Tour, Curve

Ok I just finished fixing my wife's Curve (Pink) 8330 for Verizon.  Below I will explain what I did, it is similar to a previous poster, but I will just be a little more descriptive because I know how helpful that can be.

She was having the same exact issues as mentioned all over this post, the trackball was working and no button press worked.  I like a previous poster was for sure it was all my wife's fault.  She is pretty careless about her phones.

She did have a gel cover on it, but in this case it didn't seem that humidity was the problem.

I was determined to fix it

I did the following

Removed and put the battery back in about 3 times with - no change.

I took the battery out overnight 8 hours or so and then any really hard button press yielded a "2" or "5".

Removed the battery then the memory card - no change

I then took out the 5 piece torx driver set and proceeded to dismantle the phone, you will need a #5 and #6 Torx

(There are some videos on youtube to help with the order of operations)

After you remove the cover, there are 4 #6 torx screws that need to be removed to get under the keypad so you can clean it.

Once you get to that point there is a white membrane covering the electronics for the keyboard. 

I first took a cuetip and cleaned the whole top of the white membrane (while you are there you might as well).  It probably does nothing to help though.

Then I carefully peeled  the white keyboard membrane up (from the bottom) revealing the copper disks (big one on the motherboard for each key and a smaller one attached to the membrane)

My guess is that when these disks make contact (membrane to board) it registers a keystroke.

I did not fully remove the membrane, I just peeled it up to when I could see the trackball disk (top button row).

At that point I got some more cuetips and carefully cleaned every single copper disk (big and small) I went through about 8 cuetips by the time I was done, they were turning black after a few disks. Be careful not to swipe it all over the white membrane.  It has an adhesive that makes it stick back on the board.

I let the phone airdry for a few minutes and put it back together.  FIred it up and it works like new again.

There must have been some gunk built up between a few of the buttons that was simulating a button hold.

Hope this helps some folks.

Joe

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

Success!!!!

I had the same problem, this afternoon, every key on my Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 stopped working.  The trackball was still working, but wouldn't click. Note: it was a rainy day here, but I don't think I got it wet.  I reloaded the OS with no help.  I disassembled  as described on this tread using the YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiIl19G74C0

I went to Lowe's looking for the screw drivers and found a set (OK, actually my wife found it) and bought it for $6.68.... Here is a pic of it, because we looked for several minutes before we found it.

http://www.kuderized.com/239384.jpg

(Sorry the Pic quality isn't the best... that's what we get with the Curve and a not so steady hand.

Long Story Short, I had tons of lint and **bleep** in the phone.... Gave it a good **bleep** with air from my air compressor.... Re-Assembled and it works like a champ.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Kuderized

San Antonio, Texas

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a few differences from all the other posts:  1) I have Curve 8310;  2) My provider AT&T;  3) my phone is almost 3 years old;  4) The calculator would open up just before malfunctioning.

Everything else is the same.  Working fine one minute, then no keypad or side buttons.  Only thing that worked was scrolling to icons, but couldnt select anything.

So far I have done the following:                                              With the following results:

1) Battery pull                                                                                         nothing

2) Removed battery, sim, mc, faceplate, keypad

and put in a ziploc w/rice, sealed about 24 hours                     worked for 1 1/2 days

3)  Replaced battery                                                                              nothing

4) Removed all of the above pieces again, used a q-tip

and alcohol and cleaned everything, contacts on both

front and back sides, but did NOT pull up the white

membrane on the key contacts                                                      working right now

If it malfunctions again  I will pull it apart AGAIN and lift the white membrane and clean those contacts.  I didn't know that even came up so that was helpful to learn, so thanks for posting it.

I would just replace my phone beings it is so old but I am "in a pickle" with that.  I don't use my phone for the internet (I know, I know- everyone else does) I use it for my business, as I do my laptop, which is why I dont need internet on my phone.  I need it for appointments, tasks, memo pad, setting reminders, contacts, texting, docs to go, password keeper, plus I have 2 dictionaries, a thesaurus, and the Bible and I use these all the time.  

So I say all that because if I buy another smart phone, I will lose my "grandfather" status and be forced into $30 data plan.  My cell bill is already over $200 a month and w/ 4 smart phones, that would take it up to another $120 a month!!!!  So I gotta make this phone last until  A) AT&T stops forcing customers to pay for services they dont need or B) I win the lottery and wont care spending $$ on something I dont need and wont use..........

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

This might not help at all... But I was having issues with my calculator after I had upgraded the OS... Fixed the problem by changing to a different Theme.  I really couldn't believe that fixed the problem, but it did.  Simple thing to do..... just a shot in the wind.

Good Luck.

Tim

My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: rebecca

im on my first bb curve and i had a drunken night last night i left it all night and didnt touch it and this morning its not working exept the scroll and i have a password on it and i dont know what to do any ideas ? its happend before and i just left it and it slowly started working but ive bin up for hours trying to sort the problem any ideas ?

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same problem. Occasionally the * and # keys fire as if being pressed, but for no actual reason. Reinstalled everything. Uninstalled everything. NO LUCK!

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: TELUS Mobility

I know this post is a little old but I wanted to add my two cents.

I had the exact same problem with the keyboard not responding and tried every fix listed on this forum over a period of approx 1 week. 

Mine did not get dropped or have any contact with moisture.  The litmus paper was still all white.  It simply worked one minute and didn't work the next.  (of course just 2 months off warranty)

It was finally the suggestion to open it up and clean the keyboard that got it working again.  I didn't even need to peel back the white membrane to access the gold disks.  I stopped one step short of that and just cleaned all the dirt and gunk out of everywhere else around the keyboard and track ball and that got it working again. 

I am severely disappointed with the design of this device if sooooo many people are having the same problem, and feel bad for anyone who is not comfortable with electronics and may not be willing to take the phone apart. 

I have noticed now that the trackball is gone and the keyboard design is changed on the new Blackberrys.  Hopefully that will alleviate this obvious design flaw.