Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8330 won't connect with computer

HELP! I am going crazy trying to figure out this problem. When I plug my Blackberry Curve 8330 into my USB, it is no longer recognized. The home screen shows that it is charging, but when I open My Computer, the Blackberry does not show up as a mounted drive. When I launch Desktop Manager, it says that my phone is disconnected. I need help reconnecting my phone and my computer.

I know the problem is not the cord, because I tested it with a portable external hard drive. That also showed me that it is not a problem with the USB port.

First, I attempted the following minor solutions:

• Battery pull and restart computer (duh! of course that was the first thing I tried)
  • Tried to reconnect via the Connection settings in DM (acts like I haven't plugged in the Blackberry)
  • Checked to make sure that Mass Storage mode was on in Options -> Media Card 
  • Turned off Mass Storage, restarted both computer and BB, then turned on Mass Storage

Then, I moved on to more substantial attempted solutions:

Finally, I tried the following over the top solutions:

• Full wipe of my BB handheld and went back to factory settings
  • Used System Restore to go back two weeks on my computer.

And I still cannot get my BB to connect to my computer.

I have tried everything through page 6 at "HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device" (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/HOWTO-use-your-blackberry-as-a-US...), so please don't just direct me there unless you have some real insight to something I missed on those pages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Contributor

Re: Curve 8330 won't connect with computer

BTW, I am using XP on my computer with Desktop Manager 5.0. Handheld software is 4.5.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there!

Wow -- you have tried several things...so the only things left that I can steer you to is this list of troubleshooting atricles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Telus

PLEASE tell me that you found a solution to the problem with the blackberry curve 8330.......I need help with this...it's driving me crazy.  I have done everything that I know to do, and still nothing !!!!

Please help Smiley Happy

Thanks

Super Contributor
My Device: 9850
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

jovigal4ever88 wrote:

PLEASE tell me that you found a solution to the problem with the blackberry curve 8330.......I need help with this...it's driving me crazy.  I have done everything that I know to do, and still nothing !!!!

Please help Smiley Happy

Thanks

Greetings, and welcome to the forums!

You stated in another thread that you are able to connect another BB to your computer using the same USB port. What's not clear is whether you're using the same USB cable or not. Can you clarify whether you're using the same cable for both phones, or different cables?

----------------------
"Cats may taste like chicken, but they have more bones than rabbits."

Blackberry 101
Tips & Tricks
Videos to learn from on youtube
New Contributor

I just had a BlackBerry with these symptoms.  Thought software was the issue.

Then my tech saw the middle pin was lifted on the USB port.

I depressed the middle pin with a sharp pushpin (probably not supported solution), and replugged it in.  Success.

I did not care about the BlackBerry as it was out of warranty, and the user is in the upgrade portion of his service contract, so worst case scenario was get a new BB.

Highlighted
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have taken my phone back a couple of times because of the connection problem. I was told it was my computer. I replied that I was not because I used a different computer with the same result. I finally got another phone, refurb and now that one is not working either. I'm tired of this. I bought a Blackberry because of the quality. This is not what I expected.