Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

Curve 8520 Unlocking question

I have a Curve 8520 that I haven't used for a few years. I am thinking of reactivating it and changing service providers. I really like the phone itself and would prefer not to get a new one.

So I went to get it unlocked the other day and the guy I spoke to looked through it quickly and said there's a chance I won't be able to use it after it's unlocked because it's old technology. Is this true? I got the phone new in 2010 so I find it hard to believe that it's incompatible already.

Can someone give me some tips on how to go about getting it unlocked without messing it up?

Thanks!

Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

Re: Curve 8520 Unlocking question

Wow!! I've never heard such a thing.

You can use any blackberry device as long as its alive. The only problem is that you will not be able to use the BB service (not the device) if the phone PIN is registered with any providers before.. rather than you should be able to use it. And he would have mention that its old technology becuase of 2G.. 8520 supports 2G but not 3G nor HSPA... Do not worry, but you can use it.. Smiley Happy

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Curve 8520 Unlocking question

He pointed out that it was Edge/Wi-fi, yes. But that's only for internet right? I don't want a phone for internet, I have a PC for that... 

What do you mean by I won't be able to use the BB service? Are you talking about warranty? It was registered with Rogers before and I don't plan on using them again. Is that going to be an issue?