Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Telcel

Curve 8520 Wi Fi.

Hello.

I have the 8520, and have no data plan with my carrier in my post payment plan, i thought , since i have wi-fi at home, office and tons of hot spots. I can use my BB to access the web using free wi-fi as i have been doing with my last 4 smartphones.

Big mistake. i have been charged 55 us last month, for data transfer use , i ran to my plan´s assistance office ( telcel  in Mexico ), and the answer i got was.

Nahh...you have to get a data plan from us to be able to use wi-fi ( obviuosly i stared at her , just nodding my head ).

There is no point in having a device that has acces to wi fi networks , if i cant access the wi fi network without you data plan, so i got the lady to bring the tech guy.

His response was...naaahhh...it will access the wi fi. but we´ll charge u anyway. you need to disable the network from the phone and only leave the wi fi option on so you can access without any other charge, but this will leave you with no phone connection.

Is this real? did i just spend 399us in a gadget that has wi fi capabilities but will not be able to get on any wi fi connection form home or work, without being charged for data transmission over my cell providers network????

cmon this sounds as stupid as it does in my head ???.... i would be really disapointed if i just left my old Nokia E71 SPhone, for this beautiful BB Curve 8520 THAT DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE WI FI I WANT ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡.......

Best Regards

JP

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve 8520 Wi Fi.

What is your default browser set to?

You should make sure that it is set to Hotspot Browser.

The data path for the Hotspot Browser is: BlackBerry <-> Wi-Fi HotSpot <-> Internet

Whereas the data path for the Internet Browser is: BlackBerry <-> Carrier <-> RIM NOC <-> BIS <-> Internet

Source: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-browsers-explained

So if you are on any browser config. other than "Hotspot Browser" your data is being routed to your carrier, which will incur a charge.

The easy way to tell, is when data is going through your WIFI, the arrows in the top right blink very very quickly.. when it's going through the cellular chip, it's much slower.

Hope this sorts your problem out!

On a side note.

Regarding what the technician said, it is not entirely true.

The 8520 has UMA capabilities which means it can utilise a wifi network and send/receive calls and texts through that.

It uses UMA when there is a weak network signal. It also can use it when the Network is disabled (just tested it now).

There is a problem with this though; your carrier has to support UMA and also, I'm not sure if you require a data plan to use UMA. I have a data plan so I can't test this.

New Contributor

Dear ant7ran.

I do have the default set browser to Hotspot Browswer. and the cell company charged me anyways...im sorry i forgto to put this in my original post,but yes it is for sure set to connect to Hotspots.

Totally understand the data path, tks for the link. but according to all the info i have gotten. all is correct. ( i even took the bb to the cell company and they changed it for another brand new one, since it was still in warranty ). And they screwed me with data trnsfer over their carrier.

Nope. it is set to free hotspots.

I do thank you inmensely to have taken the time to answer my question.

Regarding UMA, i have no idea, i would have to call them and ask. do you by any chance know what UMA stans for?...so you mean that the 8520 has capabilities to acces the internet even if the bb is not hooked to a cell network?.... because it does, i have tried it. and...jejejeje they charged me.

Best Regards.

JP

Highlighted

Well I think i have the same issue? When I first got my 8520 I was able to access the internet VIA Wi-Fi. ( this is even before i had a data plan) Later on i called my service provider which is Fido since i live in Canada (toronto) I asked for a data plan so i could only use my BBM and MSN messenger because why pay mroe when i can access browsing for free with Wi-Fi(again note this data plan i added did not provide internet access just messenger) After 1 month of the data plan i decided to cut it off. After a long talk with Fido i manged to cancel it. Now since i've cancelled the data plan i am no longer available to access any internet browsers. My Wi-Fi connects to my phone but i still can't access the internet. I am assuming that Fido might have blocked my internet somehow? So i called them back but onl said to reset my router or try another hotspot. I did the two recommended but still, a failure to connect or access any browser. So I do not know what to do anymore my phone has Wi-Fi but it is useless because I can no longer access internet.

New Contributor

Hmm not really the same issue. You can´t access the internet , i can. my issue is that even using a wi fi, i get charged for gprs data packages transferred...

Let me see if i can help you.

go to

Menu

Connections

options of mobile net

there see if you have data service in ACTIVE...

hope this helps.

Jean Paul

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: 02

I have been told by o2 by phone and Emails that WIFI from Blackberrys is chargable, even from my home WI-FI.  I suggest you dont pay the £15 tarriff like I did expecting to be able to use free WI-FI.  I now wish I had kept my XDA which didn't get charged for using WI-FI.

Just a shame I am now stuck on this contract for 24 months, looks like I'll have to pay the extra £10 monthly for unlimited browsing :-(

Hi, I just bought a Blackberry Curve 8520 and i'm with Fido also. I bought the phone because it had WiFi connection but right now I am freaking out completely because they could possibly charge me for it?????? Is it free????? Or do I have to connect in some magical way????

PLEASE RPLY ASAP THANK YOU

New Contributor
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: orange

sounds to me like u guys are getting done over by your network providers because i dont have a contract that supports internet use but i can still use wifi to access the internet when its in range of a hotspot & i am def not being charged.

The first thing i would do is go to manage connections, mobile connections & check that it is set to wifi perferred, if not then do so, this should ensure that the BB uses a wifi connection as it first option. if your carrier supports UMA then this will now kick in.

if u have wifi at home then u can test to ensure that your BB is only accesing the internet via wifi & not using your mobile network by going to manage connections & turning off mobile connection. you will still be connected to wifi & you should be able to access the internet. you should not be charged for this as you are not connected to a mobile network...it doesn't solve the problem but it does ensure that your BB is using only the wifi to access the internet & not the nework connection which i think is the problem here.

u can also go to wifi setup & scan for networks which will give u a list of wifi networks in your area, choose one that will work i.e unlocked & this should ensure that u are accessing the internet via wifi & not by your mobile provider.

i would also talk to your network provider because you should not be charged for wifi access unless u are using your mobile connection to the internet!

hope this is of some help to u guys!!

Andy

Andy
Visitor

Andy is very right. I have been doing the same thing. I fly a lot  i.e. YonderWonder Smiley Happy, and I use free wifi at hotspots in many cities in the world. THAT is why I got my BB with wifi capability!

Money well spent. I have NO contract with any provider (I was stuck with one for three years, could hardly wait to get out)! I buy some voice and txt usage; $10 monthly, but hardly ever need to use it.

You should NOT pay for wifi usage to your provider. To make sure, although I sometimes even forget to, jand had never been charged, ust disable your mobile network connection for the time you are on wifi. The top right corner of you BB has the small icons clearly showing where you are, what is happening.

Andy, could you tell me though; one thing I am not able to do: even after downloading certain things on wifi to my BB, let's say MSN Live Messenger, I can not use it.  Are you able to?

I go to FB a lot, but it is not the FB for BB app. It is just that I put the FB page as my fav, so it just takes me there very quickly and no diff that this is not a BB app.

What apps are you, if any, able to use without data plan? No BBM sadly, right?

Please advise. Because like this, there is no beauty having a BB if I can not use any BB apps. I could have any smartphone with wifi capability? True?

Thanks.

YW

because like this

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Wright666 says: "I have been told by o2 by phone and Emails that WIFI from Blackberrys is chargable, even from my home WI-FI".

You have been misinformed. Whoever told you that evidently doesn't understand the difference between Internet via GPRS & Internet via Wi-Fi.

When you use GPRS to access the Internet on your BB, your mobile network provider (in your case O2) is providing that service so obviously they will charge you (subject to whatever allowances, if any, are included in your tariff).

If, however, you connect your BB to your own wireless router for internet access, O2 will not and cannot charge you for that because you are already paying your broadband provider for that method of internet access. It costs O2 absolutely nothing when you do that , unless, of course, O2 is also your home broadband provider, in which case you will be paying them under a separate agreement.