Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520

Re: Curve 8520 Wi Fi.

Try a hard reset on your phone....with the phone on, take the battery out for 20 seconds then put it back in and wait 5 mins for it to reboot and yo should be able to access your hotspot browser. same thing happened to me and i did that and it started loading web pages again.

New Contributor

alot of service providers now make customers buy data plans for smart phones, like the blackberry or iphone. if you switch to a smart phone and the service provider realizes it they can and sometimes will just charge the user for a data plan even though they didnt even tell the provider they were switching to a smart phone. Kinda **bleep**ty but they can do it.

My Carrier: student

is there any way by which i can use both my N/w. (wifi and Ph N/W) ?

My Carrier: student

can any one tell me How to UNLOCK BB free of cost.Smiley SadSmiley Sad Smiley Sad

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Turning the data service off will not allow you to navigate using a WIFI hotspot, but it also will prevent any gprs data connection. Sad thing as far as I can see is there is no way (in most cases) to avoid using a free WIFI access without get (somehow) a gprs data charge. In my experience I tryed all available setups that claims to fix the data gprs connection with no success at all, it sees that only turning "INACTIVE" the data service will prevent this with the collateral effect that also kills the WIFI service. Regards.
My Device: blackberry 8520
My Carrier: 02

shoud be able to use the free wifi if set to hotspot browser, as for when you dont have the wifi u shud use the non blackberry browser such a mini opera as this will just be a part of ur 02 data package ur paying for

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

ok, there is no way any company can legally charge you to use your own wifi connection with a device you own, just because you purchase other services from them which you use the device for. that's not legal. you bought the phone-it's yours. the wifi is also yours. both the wifi and phone are your property. not theirs. they cannot legally charge you for using your own property. the fact that the companies even suggest that the can means the representatives either don't understand the technology or that they are actually representing the true policies of a company that is begging for a class action lawsuit. they cannot legally charge you for using your own property.

that said, may people don't actually own their phones. i paid cash in full for my unlocked phone but, at least in the usa, most people seem to buy these phones at deep discounts and sign long service contracts, which basically means you have not yet paid for your phone, it is locked to your provider, and probably subject to not only blocks of other networks, but possibly preventing you from using your own network. also, access to many hotspots in my area actually come by virtue of them being part of my provider's network. not every hotspot in the world is free. some places charge for wifi access. generally libraries and airports don't, but you usually need a password to logon to most wifi routers...

i use my home wifi for almost all my internet use. even though i have a data included in my t-mobile month to month plan, the actual use when i switch from hotspot browser to internet browser is the only use that seems to appear on my monthly report. my home wifi use doesn't even seem to register on t-mobile's system.

i suspect that someway, somehow, there is a setting in the phone, perhaps placed by the service provider, that is keeping you from using wifi, because you bought the locked phone at a discount and signed a contract that allows them to do whatever they want to you. i will never sign any term contract. i will always buy month to month service. i guarantee you that if i buy a device with my own money that has wifi capability and that device is my property and only mine, and that i then access my own wifi router that is my property and only mine, and if anyone else tries to charge me for that, then they will wind up in court. if they try to push me into arbitration then i will also sick my state attorney general on them and stir up as much bad publicity as i can. it's just not legal.

SG7
Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Fido

That's why I outright bought a refurbished unlocked Curve.  Didn't want to be "tied" to some contract & possibly getting screwed out of being able to use my wifi.

My only problem is, I can't seem to connect to any wifi that requires login information or accepting a terms of use.  Any unsecured networks where there is no login info needed I have no problems.  But for example, I try to log in at Starbucks it recognizes the network but all I get when I try to go online with it is a blank white screen.  And nothing loads.  I have searched everywhere possible on the internet and have found no answers. 

I have no problems connecting to my home network and lots of other unsecured networks.  Just cannot connect to any that require login information.  What could I be doing wrong or could be the issue?

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: none

I think i solved the problem

go to options - advanced options- servicebook- delete everything except the wifi thing.

can somebody confirm?

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

I've got a Blackberry Curve 5820 & when I got it first (December 2010), I set up the wifi and it was no problem. I then got a new upgraded modem (July 2011) from my broadband provider (Eircom) and had a change of connection altogether. When I tried to set it up on my phone, the phone acknowledges the fact that there's a wifi connection as it states so on my home screen, BUT the wifi icon on the top right hand side of my screen is still grey.

Can anyone help me with this please?