Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

Curve 8520 will not connect to wifi

i have recently upgraded the software on my phone and now i cant connect to any wifi spots at work or at home.  the wifi icon just stays grey but at the top of the phone, it shows i am connected to networks.  im at a loss!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!

where i live i have no mobile signal and i rely on the WIFI to get my emails through.

thanks in advance.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: O2

Re: Curve 8520 will not connect to wifi

It''s a problem affecting thousands of BB users, mistasifta, not just you. It's not your handset at fault, and it isn't related to the upgrade you did. It is a general problem with the BIS connections over wifi. See here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/BIS-over-WIFI-stopped-working/td-p... RIM have acknowledged it is a problem. You could talk to your carrier about it, but they cannot fix it, only RIM can do that. They are working on it, apparently.
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

many thanks, ive been going nuts over this.....even got a new phone!
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin

3  days now  and my curve will not connect to WiFi ... despite numerous calls to virgin and blackberry ... driving me nuts ...

Have done all the upgrades etc and nothing .....come on blackberry ...

bought it cos was told it was excellent phone ... maybe i should have gone for I phone !!

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Can I just say the only time my wifi works is at my school which has wifi so how comes that works
Contributor

Tom, it's a fair question, and no-one has got an answer yet. It's a very odd problem - it doesn't affect every Blackberry handset, and even those affected are reporting that BIS works when they connect to some wifi networks, and not when they connect over others. I suspect the fault is (at least partly) related to an overload on some crucial bit of software on the BIS connection servers, which is why it is failing for most people but every now and again some people can get through. Does your phone consistently succeed at connecting to BIS at school and fail elsewhere? A consistent pattern would be interesting.
New Contributor

Well my home wifi which is virgin media doesn't work, my schools is JNT and my granddads is BT and the only one that connects is the school. The other thing I am wondering is why RIM hasn't notified the public because some people will over react and go get another phone.
Contributor

Yeah, they've been pretty poor at that - in the last day or so a few messages on twitter and facebook, but not much. It's interesting that your school network allows you to connect. If I was in RIM tech support I'd think that would be significant, but I don't know anything about what's causing the problem to know why you can get a connection to BIS on one network but not on others. I'm afraid you might never know. Just be grateful it works a bit!
New Contributor

Who should I follow on facebook to get updates on the outage in the EU I think. Unless the only reason why the schools works because it is a private network with numerous people on blackberrys connecting
New Contributor

Oh and another thing that I have done is altered my wifi settings and stuff and I'm sure RIM have lost out as well people complaining. So ur telling me we have to wait and see. Oh and my schools network is BES as well because it is an enterprise network