Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9350
My Carrier: Sprint

Curve 8530 fromt Sprint - Can I use on other carrier?

Hi. I got 2 8530s from Sprint, but they're griping because one of them is used primarily from a location that requires roaming.

Can I use these devices on another carrier?

Dennis R. Hilton
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Curve 8530 fromt Sprint - Can I use on other carrier?

There are a few obstacles...and you have some research to do...

First, you need to determine the frequencies that the carriers you want to roam on use. Then compare those to the frequencies that your specific BB supports. Only where there is a match can you proceed.

Next, you need to unlock your BB...see this:

Next, you need to subscribe to the new carrier and register your BB on their network...you have to work with them in order to do that. It may be as simple as getting a SIM. It may be much more complicated...it depends on a lot of factors.

Lastly, this will only enable voice-level services. Data services are a whole different animal...and much more complicated.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve 8530 fromt Sprint - Can I use on other carrier?

Actually... most likely not.

The 8530 does not have GSM bandwidth, so you can't use it on such as ATT and Tmobile.

And since Verizon requires ONLY those devices branded to Verizon on it's network, so that's out.

You might find some small CDMA carrier in your locale that allows other branded device (Appalachian Wireless, Bluegrass Wireless, etc) but those carriers are limited in geography and you'll have to find one in your area.

Why are they griping... they should increase their network. If you have an unlimited roaming plan, what do they have to gripe about?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code