Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8830 Randomly Rebooting

I have a BB Curve 8830 from Verizon.  About a week ago it started randomly rebooting on me.  Sometimes while viewing email, sometimes in the middle of a call, other times while trying to connect to my computer.  Symptoms included, screen goes blank, then the indicator light goes red and stays that way for a few minutes, at some point the screen shows a battery with a cross through it then it goes blank again, then the hour glass begins twirling for a minute or so, security configuration is verified, then able to log back in.  Usually returns to the place it crashed.

I read through the forums, having searched on the terms Crashing, Rebooting, Restarting and tried several of the solutions suggested, one at a time, to narrow down the cause.  

1. Reformated memory card (sometimes problems when moved from one device to another)

2. Removed memory card 

3. Removed recently installed applications ( recently installed latest facebook app).  

4. Performed a hard reboot (removed battery for over a minute). 

5. Replaced the battery

6. Wiped the unit to reset to factory defaults (chose option to remove all installed applications) 

After all of this the unit is still crashing and it seems to be getting worse over time.  I'm assuming it is some internal issue and unless someone has additional ideas, I'm going to return the unit for a replacement. Thought I'd post just to let others know that with this problem, there may not be a resolution other than replacement.

Hoping to be proven wrong.

Best! 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Curve 8830 Randomly Rebooting

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

A couple more things to try...

1) Make sure you have updated your BB device OS to the most recent version from VZW...find them via this portal:

2) Remove the SIM card. On VZW, it serves no purpose -- I've been running without mine for months and it improved the ramdom reboot situation that used to plague the Storm BB.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same issue, except I have a 8320 on Tmobile.   I followed the update link and now I am totally screwed.  At the end of the update, I got a Fatal Error message and it said to try the update again.  However the phone only goes to a white screen.   What are my options now?  I read the post, did a hard reset, lost all data - nothing important, and now I have nothing but a big paperweight....

any suggestions?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Bakeisback wrote:

I have the same issue, except I have a 8320 on Tmobile.   I followed the update link and now I am totally screwed.  At the end of the update, I got a Fatal Error message and it said to try the update again.  However the phone only goes to a white screen.   What are my options now?  I read the post, did a hard reset, lost all data - nothing important, and now I have nothing but a big paperweight....

any suggestions?

Yikes!

It is still recoverable, I am sure...try these different things:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................