Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Tmobile

Curve 8900 Uncaught exception

Hello everyone,im new to this community. I have owned a Curve 8900 for two months and love it...until now. For last two days,have been recieving Uncaught exception error messages i.e net_rim_bb_messaging and Java.lang.NULL pointer exception errors . I can no longer see my email messages. I see the email count,it keeps going up but not showing. Ive tried to connect to BB desktop manager to back up and restore,but now my computer says it can not detect device even though the BB desk top manager is showing my device pin number in box at the bottom. Somebody PLEASE help me,I leave for Europe in 7 days and will die without my beloved Curve email!!! Thanks,Sean Walker,desperate in Michigan

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve 8900 Uncaught exception

Dear Desperate in Michigan,

There is help for you, don't despair.

1. You said the computer cannot detect it even though the DM is showing the device PIN number... so if you press Backup, what happens?

a. Move the USB cable to a different REAR usb port. Not a front USB, or USB hub.

b. On the BlackBerry: a simple reboot: With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. Now, do that same on the PC, disconnect the USB from the BlackBerry, turn off the PC and allow it to reboot. Reconnect the BlackBerry. THEN, start the Desktop Manager.

Any luck?

c. if all above fails, find a friend who's PC you can use to back up. You really need the back up done. I would recommend installing Desktop Manager, version 5, Service Pack 1, withOUT the Media Manager. Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

2. With a good backup, install or upgrade the OS on the device to fix the error issue. The links below contain the download and instructions. It's pretty simple, just make sure the backup is done first.

Here is the latest 4.6 OS for the 8900:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/210313-os-8900-4-6-1-462-4-6-...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanx but none of the suggested countermeasures worked. I even uninstalled the Blackberry desk top and reinstalled the 5.0.1 and rebooted phone and computer,same thing happens....computer can not detect device.  I tried all 4 USB ports in the back,no dice.And they are working fine,i hooked other devices up to make sure.It doesnt make sence because BB pin is showing in the device identity box and if I close Desktop manager and open the seperate media manager,it connects to device,ask me if I want to open Mass Media storage....go figure?? I have no idea what i could have done to have these errors,phone was working perfect for 2 months. I dont really know anyone else around here with computer.Any other suggestions???Thanks for trying anyway.

seanjwalker wrote:

Thanx but none of the suggested countermeasures worked.

None worked?

What about this one?

c. if all above fails, find a friend who's PC you can use to back up. You really need the back up done. I would recommend installing Desktop Manager, version 5, Service Pack 1, withOUT the Media Manager. Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Downloaded the Decktop manager program you suggested,still did not work. Something is really making my poor curve sickMan Sad I dont know what it is...have not downloaded any new apps or opened any unknown email and my firewall is on. Even tried to backup with firewall off....guess im just gonna have to take it to Tmobile in Europe and hope they can nurse it back to healt.What a bummer. But I appreciate your help.

And you tried it on another PC, as suggested... you seem to be avoiding that question.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hey NO I didnt avoid the question!! Smiley Happy If you look back at my responses,I had said I dont know ANYBODY here in my moms community. Im just visiting her here in Mich and this is the only computer she has. I would take it to a Tmobile shop here but im leaving for Europe in 6 days,i dont want to leave without it!!! Maybe a tmobile shop over there can fix it,im going to be there for quite awhile. Its all very frustrating. What the heck could have gotten into it to make it do this??I had my firewall on ........

Cool, I do see that now Smiley Happy

Read this post for tips and help to connect your device to Desktop Manager:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...

If not, Perhaps the shop can help.

Knowledge Base Updates