Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve Battery Life

I've had my Blackberry Curve for about a week now, and I don't know if my case is unique or if this holds true for all Curves, but I find that the battery life for my phone is less than satisfactory.  Even right after I pull it off the charger, I find that the meter has already started to drain, and I'm already at 75% after doing nothing more than letting it sit at night while I sleep (on standby mode, nontheless).  I find I have to charge my phone basically everyday, and I thought the battery life of BB's are supposed to last at least a little longer than this.

During the day, it gets moderate use (for emails and such, but I hardly use the browser and never play games), so yeah.  Is this just my phone or is this just how much juice the Curve's battery contains? 

Contributor

Re: Curve Battery Life

Battery life on the Pearl isn't that great either, but have seen it improved by enabling auto on/off.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-17-using-auto

If I'm viewing media on my phone the battery life is good, but drains quickly when calling.   

--------------------------------------
BB 8130 Pearl
IT Professional
Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

What applications do you have running in the background? You must have something eating battery life, or searching for a signal--are you in a low signal area? That is the biggest drain on a battery.

Otherwise, press ALT and the ESCAP key (right of trackball) to show the task list, and see what you have running. There are 4-6 icons of items that will always be in the background (homesceen, call log, browser, BBMessenger, etc) you can't close those, but make sure the browser is NOT on an active webpage.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Can't say exactly. It depends on the device settings, for example enabling the Auto On/Off would save battery juice. In my case, I never turn off my BB unless i've to do a battery-pull. Like you do, I basically charge my BB daily Smiley Happy
Message Edited by safri on 04-02-2008 03:22 AM
Highlighted
BlackBerry Employee

Hey Drrr...do  you have any 3rd party chat programs installed? I know when I use JiveTalk, my battery tends to drain a little quicker as the chat program is running in the background when logged in.

Also you mentioned at night time you tend to loose quite a bit of juice without doing anything to your curve device. If your in an area with fringe coverage, your device could be droping connectivity with the wireless network so your device could be in "searching for Network" status which will tend to drain your battery a little quicker as well.

Hope that helps.. 

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I know JiveTalk might drain it some, but not much. Make sure your "Battery Save Mode When Idle" is checked in JiveTalk.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for all your help!  I'll try some of this out and see if it works.

Oh, one more thing: how do you know if your browser's on an active page or not?  Does the close option on the menu actually close the program (one's that aren't always running) or is it just like a minimize option?

Thanks again, all! 

Si
Contributor

Also remember to treat your battery right.  Lithium Ion batteries are a lot like car batteries in that you can't really overcharge them, but if you regularly let them run dead they will begin to degrade.
Contributor

I thought it was recommended to let them run dead so that it lengthens the batteries life?
--------------------------------------
BB 8130 Pearl
IT Professional
Contributor

Don't let Lithium Ion go dead.
BlackBerry Help
www.blackberryboards.com