Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve Battery Life

when your blackberry auto shuts off it is not really dead in a sense it just went into sleep mode. so there is still some battery life on it. ie not dead
My Device: Blackberry Bold

After a lot of use they can eventually begin losing the life they had before. If you use a battery for like 2 years you will start to notice it is not lasting like it did before.
CEO/Editor In Cheif
www.SmartphoneNation.com

Highlighted
New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

What applications do you have running in the background? You must have something eating battery life, or searching for a signal--are you in a low signal area? That is the biggest drain on a battery.

Otherwise, press ALT and the ESCAP key (right of trackball) to show the task list, and see what you have running. There are 4-6 icons of items that will always be in the background (homesceen, call log, browser, BBMessenger, etc) you can't close those, but make sure the browser is NOT on an active webpage.

Good luck.

Wow! I thank you for this amazing tip!  I found a few things running like a card game etc. that I hadn't even touched in over a week!

I do have a question though....Would PTT be one of those applications that is always running?  I can't seem to close it and I don't even have Push-T-Talk service so I'd like to even uninstall it if possible.

Thanks

Regards,

Babs
Si
Contributor

Lithium Polymer batteries you had to let run dead, Lithium Ion is different.
Contributor

This one isn't Curve specific, but on any BlackBerry you can squeeze out a fair bit of batter savings during the day if you turn down the backlight brightness a bit. Options > Screen/Keyboard is the path. The device will default to 100%, but if you can stand lowering the brightness down a knotch or two, you'll save a surprising amount of juice during the day.

Closing 3rd party apps is always a good idea. Turning off the extra features when you're not using them, such as wifi, gps, and bluetooth can help out alot as well.

Regular Contributor

Try charging it after u let it almost die out. Then try charging hile u sleep then turn off when u wake for five min for system to reboot it
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. Just dumped my Dell Axim and Moto Razr.One device is cool!

I'm also wondering about battery life. My Razr would last for a week w/o charging, but it was just a phone. I've set screen to 60%. I turned off the "auto dim" as I found it a pain.. I'm now closing each app as I'd done, instead of just "backing out". I set it to go off and on at preset times when I know I won't be using it.

But, I charged it yesterday am used it a bit, got about 20 emails, took 4 pictures and its now at 60% (next day at 5:00pm). Is this normal? If it is, that's fine and I'll just plug it in each nite.

Any advice is appreciated!

scott 

You are so right. I have had the 8330 since May 10th and battery life bites the big one. Do they have extended batteries for these??? The only thing about that is is takes away from the lightness of the device.
My Device: blackberry curve
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know but I am having the same problem, it's 3:00, my battery is half drained and it's been unplugged from the charger since 7:30.  I think I made 5 phone short calls and sent a text message.  This is ridiculous!!

Anyway, I just tried the "alt + escape" suggested above to see what was running and a facebook page came up that I was looking at yesterday.  I thought that when I hit "end" on a page, it shut it off but now I am wondering if that is the case.  If not, I am not sure how you get off the page, it seems like a lot to have to "back" out 5 successive pages on the web browser??!?

I don't know why the battery is draining so quickly, because for the first few days I had it it didn't seem to go this fast.  (The first day I got it I went away for a long weekend and forgot the charger--managed to make it three days with very limited charging in the car)  

Regular Contributor
My Device: bold9700
My Carrier: airtel

Hi,

Tips to avoid battery drain  :

1) Bluetooth (Chk if it is turned off)

2) Low signal strength ( If the signal strength is low the device will consume alot of battery in order maintain the signal strength)

3) Unwanted applications running in background  (Hunt for such applications and close them as they would sucking the battery life.

4) Optimize your screen brightness to increase battery life.

5) Follow a regular charge and discharge cycle of the battery.

Thanks,

Rohit