Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve and Palm data

I am new to BB and have a curve 8330.  I am trying to use BB Desktop Manager to import my calendar, memos, and contacts to my BB.  All goes well until file 4014/~4200--then it freezes and no longer responds.  I have repaired with the installation CD, then uninstalled and re-installed--same thing happens repeatedly.  Any advice?  I'm still in the time period I could give up and return the BB.

Thanks.

New Contributor

Re: Curve and Palm data

Should have clarified in my question...I am trying to synch a Palm Desktop Version 4.1.4. into my curve 8330 using Desktop Manager 4.3.0.17 using the Switch Device Wizard.  I have a Palm pilot, not a Treo.  I think that my be my problem but I'm not certain.  I have tried exporting my calendar/memos into Excel and then importing to Outlook but it either doesn't work at all (calendar with dba. file) or I get just the title of the memo with all the real info in symbols.

Any advice.  My life has been imported from palm to palm for 15 years.

Thanks.

Contributor

Hi

I got my BB Curve 8330 and before used the Palm Tngsten E2.
I export the data from Palm into Outlook.

Then make sure you take the Palm software off (that is uninstall it) then import from Outlook into BB 8330.

It works perfect.

I had the same problem as you did it was going till 1402 and was stopping there.

But once I uninstalled the Palm from my PC I was able to import from Outlook to BB.

Works just fine.

However I would like to keep the Palm software and use it with the BB 8330.... I think it is not compatible. So the only left is to use Outlook.

I tought BB Curve 8330 comes with its software just like a palm. But nope!

Good luck!

Taylor 

New Contributor

Hi All!

What I did when switching device from Palm Tungsten E2 to BB 8310 was the following:

1. installed sync-software to sync Palm with Outlook.
  2. synced Palm with Outlook
  3. deinstalled Palm sync-software
  4. installed BB software
  5. configured BB-software for sync with Outlook
  6. synced BB with Outlook

It worked just fine. Only the field mapping was tricky because I use German versions. But using German versions you get used to these problems ;-)

Step 3 may appear as unnecessary but I found out that devices and plugins are much more stable when doing it that way. Often the various sync-clients or -plugins come into each others way because they use pretty much the same channels of the operating  system and APIs of installed software.

New Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I have a few more questions.

1.  Do I have to uninstall the palm desktop first to install the synch to Outlook off the CD--or can I just pick that part to install?

2.  More of a comment than a question--I really want to leave Palm Desktop on because I use my palm like a laptop and do native powerpoint, word and excel with Documents to Go.  I don't think the blackberry will do that.

3.  If I have already installed the BB Desktop, would I need to uninstall and install that again?

Thanks.  I'm pretty nervous about this.

New Contributor

Well, let's try to find some answers ;-)

ad 1) No, you don't need to uninstall Palm Desktop. The software for synchronizing Palm Desktop with Outlook is a plugin for Outlook which is accessed by Hotsync.

ad 2) Well, synchronizing your BB with Palm-Desktop does not work as far as I know, so if you want use the Palm device for editing office-files (Documents To Go I guess) simply do that but you'll have to carry two devices with you then. I don't know if there's a software for BB to edit office-files as well but that may be possible. I have a tool to display office-files and PDFs on my BB Curve.

ad 3) No need to reinstall the BB Desktop Manager

Hope that works out fine for you ;-)