Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Custom Ring Tone doesn't work

I just upgraded to 4.7 desktop software and now my custom ringtones for individuals don't play when they call.  They play when setting them.  All that will play is the custom ringtone set up in the profiles.  I have chosen every profile and even turned the profile off on the exception and it still plays the active profile sound.  Suggestions???
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Custom Ring Tone doesn't work

Check the below and follow the steps - 

1. In the contact list, highlight a contact.

2. Press the Menu key.

3. Click Edit.

4. In the Custom Ring Tones/Alerts section, perform one of the following actions:

§          To assign a ring tone to phone calls that you receive from the contact, click Phone.

§          To assign a ring tone to messages that you receive from the contact, click Messages.

5. Set the ring tone information.

6. Press the Menu key.

7. Click Save.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion but still no individualized custom ring, only the custom ring I have for my Active Profile which plays for everyone even those with exceptions.
Contributor
My Device: Curve- Tmobile

im having the same problem!

i dunno waht happen, my bberry was functioning extremelly well

suddenly it stops working so i took off the battery and restart it!

and after that, my custom ring tones doesnt work!

when my bf calls me what i got is the general ringtone not his custom!

and i went to profiles and theres all the exceptions i made and nothing happens!

still have the general ringtone for everyone and not the custom i want to!!!

helppppppppppppppppppp

Smiley Sad

My wife is having the same problem with her Storm.  Mine works fine but hers is doing this where some default ringtone is ringing instead of the custom ringtone.

[ Edited ]

Ok this worked for me and I hope this does the trick for you... 1) Go to APPLICATIONS  press scrollball  2) Go to ADDRESS BOOK  press scroll ball  3) Select CONTACT NAME you want for custom ringtone  press scrollball 4)  Press MENU   press scrollball 5) Press EDIT  press scrollball 6) Scroll down to  CUSTOM RINGTONE  press scrollball 7) Press MENU (located to the left of scrollball   8) Enter CHANGE OPTION  press scrollball 9) Scroll up to BROWSE  press scrollball   10) Go to the file where you have saved your music/ringtones under   11) SAVE away Robot Very Happy  These are the steps that worked for me after many trials  and tribulations

My Device: BlackBerry 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Custom IM Ring Tone doesn't work

Hi all,

Since version 5 of the BlackBerry firmware, unique IM (SMS) "ringtones" for selected contacts stopped playing for me.  I've figured out how to get them to work again and thought I'd share this here in case someone else has been having the same problem.

In order for an IM (SMS) ringtone to work, you need to make sure that the sender's phone number  in their contact card (under Contacts) has an unformatted phone number.  That is, a phone number that looks like +1 (203) 555-1212 won't work but 2035551212 will.  That's it!  Smiley Happy  (The number is recognized so that it displays the name of the person sending you a message but not when looking up their unique IM ringtone to be played, which is why it's been so frustrating.)

Hope this helps and that BlackBerry support is reading this.  Smiley Happy

Nemesis

Re: Custom IM Ring Tone doesn't work

BB_Nemesis, thanks so much for that solution!  I've been banging my head over this issue for the past two months, and since ALL of my phone numbers are formatted, I was stuck as to why ringtones never worked.

Blackberry Support:  This seems like a major bug and loss of functionality from the previous version.  Please fix!  As it stands, I can't roam with my phone internationally AND get SMS ringtones to work.  Stupid!!