Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Custom alerts while device is password locked

Since upgrading to BlackBerry Torch device I am unable to configure custom alerts for a specific email address.   The device is silent for all email except when email arrives from a specific address (for on-call support purposes) .

The alerts are actually working for as long as device is not password locked.    As soon as I lock the device, whenever the email arrives it remains silent.  If I simply unlock the device the device will respond as expected. 

The devices uses 6.0 Bundle 2647  (v6.0.0.600, Platform 6.6.0.223) on Bell Carrier network. 

Any help is appreciated.  

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Custom alerts while device is password locked

what is the ringtone associated with that specific email address?
whre is it ? on the media card ?
have you activated content protection on the SDcard ?

as well as privacy protection when the device is locked (= not display the caller ID on the screen)?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Hi there

I have tried "Sanguine Remix",  "Evolving Dream" and "Evolving Possibilities" all of which are stock ring tones which came with Torch.   I am not sure if the file is located on the media card or internal memory though since it came preloaded with the Device.

This is a Corporate device and Content protection has been enabled by IT administrators. 

Caller ID does work when someone calls me and device is password protected. 

I have tried various options while setting the alerts such as setting the volume to either "Active Profile" or 10 and "Play Sound" to always etc but nothing seems to make any difference.     All of this works for as long as the device is not password locked.  Once I lock the device the alert is not working.

Many thanks for your response.  

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

if I were you I would verify that those are really locked files on your device (meaning you cannot delete or rename them). If it is not the case, switch to a ringtone that cannot be renamed or deleted, and try again.

if those are files that are editable, check where they are. If they are on the media card, put them on the device memory and try again.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: