Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 8330

Re: Custom text message tones for different people?

I got the custom profiles to work on my phone (thank you to those of you who took the time to post the info about this!) but I am now having one very annoying problem. My general SMS is taking on the tone of the last customized person to text me.

For example, someone has a custom profile on my phone including a unique SMS tone, let's say John. John sends me a text message. Then a little while later, someone else who DOESN'T have a custom tone texts me - I should hear the SMS tone for everyone else, but I don't, I get John's. If Shawn texts me, then the next person without a cutom tone will sound like Shawn.  The only time I get the general SMS sound when I'm supposed to is if I just rebooted my phone and a customized person hasn't texted yet.

Does anyone know how to fix this?? It's very frustrating! I have BlackBerry Curve 8330.

Thank you!

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Thank YOU. I had gone nuts and was actually thinking of chucking my BB. Solved all my problems with the creation of a new Profile.

vcottrell wrote:
You can setup custom text message that has ring tones. You have to set up a new profile in order to setup ring tones for text messages. I have them set up on my pearl. Click on the profile on your phone. Go to advance. Click on menu Click on new profile and give it a name. Click on menu here you Click on text message and change the in and out of holster to vibrate ring, etc then after you change everything Click save. Click menu and Click new exception give it a name. In the from Click and add name to whom you the exception for. Next high light the active profile and Click on it and change it to the profile you just created. Remember to save change the custom phone tune,. If you have problems you can IM me and I can walk you through the steps.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Its possible. Create a new profile and set different tones for different applications.

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: A.T.T.

Ok. I have tried and tried and tried and I'm not getting the tone that I set for the person I set it for. I'm did everything I made sure that it was the only exeption I made the profile I basically followed the directions from everyone on this site * million times each to the t. And I just can't figure it out. Can someone help me??!! Smiley Sad
Visitor
My Device: Pearl 8220
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue with my pearl flip.  I had an 8100 and 8120 and I had custom exceptions set up for sms texts and had no problem.  With my flip i only want to get text alerts for my wife and my daughter and for no one else.  I have two custom exceptions set with their custom sms sounds (each one different) and the two profiles set up for each of them and normal is selected.  I then edit my normal profile and set none/none (out of holster/in holster) for sms there.  This is the exact same thing I did for my 8100 and 8120 and had no problem with.  Only my wife and daughter's texts alerted. 

With my 8220 even though it was set to none, unknown people (ones I don't have in my contact list) get my wife's exception.  Yes, I only have two exceptions, yes the active profile is normal and in normal there are no tones selected for sms.

I thought I saw somewhere that this was a bug in the system.  These aren't "Unknown" or "Private Caller" and actually display a number.  Around here we get tons of random wrong texts and I don't want those to alert, just those important to me and i can't add every person to my contact list.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch
My Carrier: att&t

i have a blackberry torch and i am trying to set up a custom text message tone for different people and i got it to work for one person and one person only help me

My Device: Torch 9800

I've tried setting different tones for my family but haven't been able to make it work. No matter what I do, it uses the same tone for everyone.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Bell

I would also like to have special sounds for certain people's text messages but get stumped when I reach step 4. There is no choice of "new exception" when I'm in my Profile section? Is that option only available on certain Blackberry's?