Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Custom text message tones for different people?

I know how to set custom ringtones for individuals but is there a way to set custom tones for text messages, so that the tone for person A will sounds different from person B? If anyone knows how to do this can you please give me steps on how to??? Or a link to a website that explains it??

This has been bothering me for awhile and I can't figure it out! Thanks

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Custom text message tones for different people?

Customized tone for text messages is not possible from BlackBerry.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Is there any update on this?  I really need to have a different custom tone to occur for ONE particular SMS Text message sender shortcode.  I'm a professor and NEED to be notified, even if in class, if there is a Virginia Tech type or other emergency which my college provides via an E2Campus emergency text message.  However I cannot allow my phone to make a noise to notify me of any other text message while I'm lecturing.  While I understand lots of people probably want custom text notification tones for convenience, I really NEED this to ensure the safety of me and my students.

So is there any indication that Blackberry has worked on this?  Is it (hopefully!) in OS 4.5 or something which I haven't bothered to install yet?

Thank you for your time,

Brad.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums.

There is no way to to assign a special tone from the BB point of view.

I had not heard of this being worked on.

Sorry

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

You can setup custom text message that has ring tones. You have to set up a new profile in order to setup ring tones for text messages. I have them set up on my pearl. Click on the profile on your phone. Go to advance. Click on menu Click on new profile and give it a name. Click on menu here you Click on text message and change the in and out of holster to vibrate ring, etc then after you change everything Click save. Click menu and Click new exception give it a name. In the from Click and add name to whom you the exception for. Next high light the active profile and Click on it and change it to the profile you just created. Remember to save change the custom phone tune,. If you have problems you can IM me and I can walk you through the steps.
New Contributor

This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.

2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.

3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.

4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.

5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).

6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.

7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.

8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.

9. Save the changes.

New Contributor

Thank you!!  This works PERFECTLY!  Now I can feel confident that I'll get potentially life saving text messages from our emergency notification provider even while I'm teaching class.  Thank you!!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8130

Not that I am aware of. Most phones have customizable ring tones, but only for incoming calls. Check your phone hand book or search the internet for a better answer.
New Contributor

Re: Re: Custom text message tones for different people?

The step by step process that vcotrell states above works beautifully on my curve 8330 and on verizon wireless. I suspect it would work similarly on other networks and devices. Now I get a special (annoyingly repetitive and loud) tone if I get an emaergency message from E2Campus. The trick, as vcotrell shows us above, is to set up a profile exception for those special user(s) that require special notification status. The downside is that that exception will always be treated the same no matter which profile you have made active. But if you really want to always be loudly notified when you get a message from one or two particular contacts, vcotrell has the right work around indeed. Again, thank you for this!

I followed the steps, but still seem to be doing something wrong. I made a new profile, assisgned a song to the SMS messages and saved the profile. Then I did the exception.  But, all that happens is that all the messages play the new song that is only supposed to be assigned to one person.  Also, can you customize the text tones for more than one person?  I may need better directions on how to make this work.  I'm not the best with Technology so a little hand-holding might not hurt.