08-23-2008 11:44 AM
I know how to set custom ringtones for individuals but is there a way to set custom tones for text messages, so that the tone for person A will sounds different from person B? If anyone knows how to do this can you please give me steps on how to??? Or a link to a website that explains it??
This has been bothering me for awhile and I can't figure it out! Thanks
08-23-2008 02:56 PM
If your query is resolved then please click on “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit
10-21-2008 05:15 PM
Is there any update on this? I really need to have a different custom tone to occur for ONE particular SMS Text message sender shortcode. I'm a professor and NEED to be notified, even if in class, if there is a Virginia Tech type or other emergency which my college provides via an E2Campus emergency text message. However I cannot allow my phone to make a noise to notify me of any other text message while I'm lecturing. While I understand lots of people probably want custom text notification tones for convenience, I really NEED this to ensure the safety of me and my students.
So is there any indication that Blackberry has worked on this? Is it (hopefully!) in OS 4.5 or something which I haven't bothered to install yet?
Thank you for your time,
10-21-2008 07:37 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.
There is no way to to assign a special tone from the BB point of view.
I had not heard of this being worked on.
10-22-2008 08:22 PM
10-22-2008 08:43 PM
This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:
1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.
2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.
4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).
6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.
9. Save the changes.
10-24-2008 04:07 PM
Thank you!! This works PERFECTLY! Now I can feel confident that I'll get potentially life saving text messages from our emergency notification provider even while I'm teaching class. Thank you!!
10-27-2008 02:05 AM
10-27-2008 08:25 AM
10-28-2008 03:04 PM