Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: 02

Customising Trays in Blackberry 6.0

I'm new to Blackberry 6.0 and whereas I certainly appreciate many of it's features I'm struggling to find shortcuts and workarounds to make my life simple. I'm confused because doing simple things like opening an sms message now takes me longer than it did with my old version 5.0 smartphone.

For openers. Is there a way to delete, hide or add trays? To be honest in my day to day useage all I want is one tray (logically "favourites") the rest can go hide. I find that the sensitive optical pad keeps shifting my trays along and its really annoying. Why can't I have a shortcut on my screen or device for that matter that opens an application without having to scroll around all the time?

I know its a new operating system but this seems fundamental.

Mark

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Customising Trays in Blackberry 6.0

hello,

you are complaining because you do not like the behavior of the current trays (meaning, shifting left and right will switch to another tray whereas you do not wish that).

This complaint is only about that theme, which is the one provided by RIM when you bought the device. Fortulately, all you have to do is look for another theme that will behave differently. You can look directly in AppWorld in the "Themes" category. Or you can look here for dozens of themes : http://forums.crackberry.com/f227/

but I am curious, what was your previous device?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

I too hate these trays, I just want one main tray. Its always jumpig around, i know where my stuff is please leave it there.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

I want to use my phone, not get a PhD in customizing it.  I went to your link and couldn't make any sense of the information there--I followed a half dozen of the threads and they might as well have been talking Urdu. 

I want basically the theme that came with by Curve with only one tray (all).  How do you find that?

David Simpson

Guru I

@David Simpson
you can also look directly in Appworld in the Themes category.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for that.  I started there and got confused so I came here and got even more confused.  None of the theme names read like "boring, stogy old-guy", and none of them that I've seen so far mention dropping to a single tray.

David

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: 02

Forget it David its not out there in an acceptable format. I believe RIM have dropped the ball.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Yes. This is nuts. My torch screen flies all over the place. I just want my icons where I left them. You only need new trays for extra icons like the ipad not the same ones. A bb doesn't need trays. Its impossible to find a theme without trays. A search returns nothing. <Inappropriate Content Removed> 

Guru I

RIM has already fixed it! in OS7, you can choose which panes to display. So if you want an OS5 feel, you can hide all panes except the one named "All".
Problem is: OS7 will only be available for upcoming devices, starting with Bold Touch (9900/9930), Torch 2 (9810) and Torch keyboard-less (9850/9860).

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: TMO

I dislike the trays. I found a quick solution:

From anywhere in the OS:

1- Press the END key once (red end call key)

2- Double press the BB key and POW- you are there.

Whew- so glad I figured this out!

Enjoying my 9780 a lot- downloading big files, browser so much better, track pad.