Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

DESKTOP MANAGER WON'T INSTALL

I have downloaded the Blackberry 4.7 software but when I tried installing it; the files unpack, the installation starts then window labeled " windows intall" pops up. I the only option is "ok" I select it and the instalation closed. and the sofware does not install.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: DESKTOP MANAGER WON'T INSTALL

Hi there!

If you are on XP, ensure you are logging into the system with an account that has full administrative rights.

If you are on Vista, run the installation with "Run As Administrator".

If you are upgrading from a prior version, try a clean uninstall first:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I have a 8820 model, that uses V4.2.116 Desktop Manager software. But nothing seems to work for me. Aftfer installing from the CD or downloading from the website, I seem to be able to install the software without any problems. But I don't see the program anywhere from the Start menu or even if I search for it from the Explorer. However, interestingly, it does show up on Control Program as one of the programs I can uninstal if I want to. I use a Windows Vista Business based computer. I even tried running the installation through the 'Run as Administrator' option. Still the same results. Could someone please help me with this at the earliest?

Thanks,

Arvind

New Contributor

clean unistall doesn't work either

nothing works

it shows up in programs list

the files in the program files is an ico file and readme file

I've got the same problem.  I called Verizon and they, in turn, contacted RIM, but even they couldn't figure it out.  I've uninstalled my security program on my PC and tried--still nothing.  I've gone over to Verizon and they won't upgrade my OS with all my saved info.  They told em I can do a complete upgrade, losing all my data.  Nice.  More and more I think I should have gotten an IPhone!!!!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

OH dear...all three of you...I'm so sorry...since the OP marked the thread as solved I wasn't paying as close attention to the thread...my apologies.

Here's a process to attempt:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

This final detailed procedure provided by user sdgardne worked. I am now able to instal and use the DTM software for my blackberry. Thanks for this- it was very good.

One more question though: is it possible to export my phone contacts into say an excel sheet or something?

Thanks again, I appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

Arvind

Hall of Famer III

arvindvis wrote:

This final detailed procedure provided by user sdgardne worked. I am now able to instal and use the DTM software for my blackberry. Thanks for this- it was very good.

One more question though: is it possible to export my phone contacts into say an excel sheet or something?

Thanks again, I appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

Arvind

You are most welcome!

If you are synching to a desktop PIM, then that app (the PIM) would be your best bet for exporting your contact information. If you are not synching with a PIM and your BB is the only place on which your data exists, then make great haste to conduct regular backups of your BB data.

• KB12487 How to backup data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Further, if you are not synching, you may indeed be able to export to a file format that could be imported into an excel sheet:

•  KB11194 How to import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device

While that is written for importing a CSV, I am hopeful that it will as well export for you.

Lastly, there are other apps that can read the backup file that you created above...Amber something or other? Do some searches for apps that can read a RIM backup file (*.ipd) and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor

Thanks again. The program I used to convert the *.ipd file was ABC Amber Blackberry Converter. The free demo version allows you to convert only 10 records at a time. Given the social and professional life that we lead, converting all the contacts 10 at a time tool a while to finish. But at least now all my contacts are available in a readable format outside of my blackberry. This makes me sleep better now.

Thanks you once again sdgardne, you helped me out with useful and timely suggestions.

Arvind